06 DT125RE REBUILD TIME!

Keiran95
This post is 4394 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

okay so i have finally got down to having a rebuild but i have made the mistake of not looking up how the powervalve is set up correctly, i'm not sure if i will be able to get it to work again, is it hard? could anyone help me?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sorry for the late reply, i have been really busy..

i have noticed some scuffs on my old piston and it seems that the power valve has scored the piston. has anyone else had this problem??

Also the piston was in a serious state (looked like a crumpet on the top) i beleive this is because it was running to hot and i had a leak from the head and barrel?? but i'm just wondering if the scuffs on my powervalve is OK and it will run again? but i dont want to ruin my new piston.. any ideas??

thanks for the time and effort please get back to me as i want to do a proper job as the bike is my pride and joy

wont need much keiran, about 300 miles i'd say. The concern is what happened with the first one?

I've heard lots of times how DTR engines have had pv piston collisions! is this what yours had? some pics would have been nice, and of the piston (crumpet) crown too...doesnt sound good

i believe that the piston was running too hot due the head and the barrel leaking, thats what the guy said that rebuilt my engine for me anyway. as you know airhead i only know so much :biglaugha: i think i have left the piston in the garage so i'll get a few pics tomorrow, its a right state.. and it seems that as the pwervalve has opened or shut it has tilted the piston slightly and left a small score all the way down it, and the top of the piston that should be smooth is like a crumpet - i was lucky and got it sorted before it smashed into a million pieces

If it looks anything like this then it was due to seizing.. In my case running out of fuel doing 75mph on the m25 and not changing to reserve quick enough leading to a nice rear wheel lock up! :mellow:

This piston was changed after 14000 miles by the way. It has the scoring all round the piston,

2012-04-15120556.jpg

When you say 'crumpet' it may just be a build up of carbon which would be normal.

Doing a top end rebuild is really simple, its only a 2 stroke after all.

Nothing atall like yours, my parents have binned the piston now before i could get some pictures, it looked like it had been bubbling on the top of the piston, but it was still running when i went to rebuild it... just with massive lack of power