XT550 electrical diagnosing

swapdip
This post is 4357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all just picked up a 82 XT550. Im trying to diagnose a no-spark issue, perhaps some of you can help. At best, when I kick it over I am only getting -3v to the coil, on both wires. Im sure I dont have my multimeter wires switched, it registers -3. Ive never seen this before in a bike, but then Ive only worked on a couple of them before so Im not quite sure how to go about diagnosing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 6 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds stupid but have you taken the kill switch to pieces?? sometimes the contacts go all manky and give a negative reading ( dont know why either) i had this issue with mine but cleaned all the contacts throughout the bike and replaced wires, i ended up also replacing the coil/ ht lead/ and plug cap on the hunt to remedy it, it now sparks but the carb has bits missing ( typically the bits that are no longer available) so it runs like a bag of nails, the predator system doesnt help, it seems to be restricting the output and is really quite

Yep either the stator or kill switch can send you metter in to negs if they are shorted to ground.

Check to ohms resistance on both.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online