XVS650 Threaded hole with nothing in it?

Campaman
This post is 4418 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Was looking at adjusting my gear shift lever and spotted just to the right and slightly below where the shaft comes out of the case a threaded hole with nothing in it, anyone got any ideas what this is?

The threads look clean as though something has come out of it, so I have used the car today can't find anything in the owners manual so now ploughing through 360 pages of the workshop manual.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi mate,

My first post did not seem to work???

I have a brand new 2011 XVS650A Custom. There is a hold right near the bottom of the case just behind and below as you say.

About 10mm and deel threaded.

rossr

That's a relief, I was beginning to think I had lost the oil drain plug.

Suppose it could be a mounting that's not used in this frame or a lifting point of some kind.

It is one of several such sockets that combine to serve as the primary mounting point for the M-56 heat shield (left side).

The M-56 shields extend upward to protect the leg and lower body of the rider from the passing exhaust of Hydra-70 rockets when the motorcycle is engaged in Urban VVC (vehicle to Vehicle Combat).

The Hydra-70 rockets are fired from twin 19-tube laucher pods, typically affixed to outrigger arms either side of the XVS650 Dragstar subframe, with folding mechanisms to retract the pods during heavy cornering. While the pods add extra weight to the motorcycle and further lower it's centre of gravity, for reasons of stability the rockets should not be fired unless the motorcycle is upright.

Typically, the Hydra-70 is used to clear paths ahead during filtering manoeuvres in heavy traffic, but their application is common in a wide variety of road conditions.

I have two myself ;)

LOL. :D

Aren't we getting a bit confused here?

It says in my manual that it's the mounting point for the wild haggis deterrent horn. Part number YAM470/452.

They're only standard on bikes delivered to Scotland.

Hence the hole south of the border.

:lol:

Err... I just checked the catalogue.

Part number YAM470/452 is actually the Posing Camera mounting bracket, which clips to the front right of the handlebars.

The Posing Mirror (for the left side) is YAM470/425.

YAM570 is the offensive series of accessories.

YAM470 is the posing accessories series.

YAM821 is the Scottish series, which includes the Haggis horn, wee dram holder, bagpipe exhaust set, tartan trims, front-mounted Glasgow Kisser, side mounted 'chibs' blades (Custom model only), wee bairn pillion seat, and sticker set with choice of Yamaha styled 'Get tae f**k' or 'Ah hate tha English' slogans.

Maybe its for mounting another foot peg so that women can ride side saddle

Utter bollocks... women don't ride bikes!!

Jeez, that means my neighbours gay, and what I thought was his wife on a bike is actually his boyfriend with long hair and great big man boobs...

You never can tell...

It's frightening just what horrors are out there, ain't it!

I mean, c'mon - they actually let Jamie Oliver have a scooter!!!

It's frightening just what horrors are out there, ain't it!

I mean, c'mon - they actually let Jamie Oliver have a scooter!!!

yea and even he could'nt stay on the thing

anyways are you sure that holes not for the optional ashtray holder

anyways are you sure that holes not for the optional ashtray holder

Very sure. They're too low, innit.

'sides, the catalogues *does* state they're for the rocket launchers.

It's to bolt the trainer wheels to. Should be one on the other side as well.

Seriously tho', The motor has been used in other models so will have threaded mounting points for various frame attachments used on other models such as the 535 Virago.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online