xs 250 Alternator testing

MrBrady
This post is 4568 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello yet again,

I'm trying to test my alternator output but it seems that during my bike's life sometime someone has replaced some of the wiring. The workshop manual is telling me to test the resistance between specific colours of wires that come out of the alternator, but the colours don't match!

The reason I'm trying to check this is that with the engine at around 2k revs it's only outputting 13.4v instead of 14.5, and before I move on to checking the rectifier and regulator the manual suggests testing these to see if the coils are working properly.

Suggestions please?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if you have the electro mechanical voltage regulator, you can adjust it.

you need a healthy battery to have good charging as that is the way the system works.

you have 3 white wires from the stator to rectifier and 2 green from the field coil.

the field coil is fed by the voltage regulator and is really an electro magnet and more or less current produces the right amount of charging for the battery depending on its state of discharge!

The battery is quite new.

I'll have to check out the regulator to see what type it is, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Yes I have the 3 white wires, but the other set of wires has a black, green, blue and yellow. These are the ones I think have been replaced but are definitely coming out of the back of the alternator. The workshop manual is telling me to test these wires to get an indication of the health of the coil.

If I can adjust the regulator and can boost it up a bit, can this hurt the alternator if it's had some wires come loose in the coil? I don't want to be causing more problems

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online