XS 250 Fitting new exhaust silencers

MrBrady
This post is 4565 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

Last weekend I lost a baffle from the end of my left hand exhaust pipe. The only solution I could find was to buy a new set of 'generic' silencers which arrived this morning. They came with 3 sleeves to suit different diameter exhaust pipes, and each sleeve had a section cut out of it so that it could expand or contract as necessary. I ended up using all three sleeves for each silencer.

The problem is that when I did a test ride today, after a little while the engine wanted to stop running, and I was getting gurgling noises and pops from the exhaust. I assume this means that water was getting in there? This evening I re-fitted one of them to take a closer look at the sleeves, and when I was done I ran the engine and used a spray bottle to squirt water onto the exposed ends of the sleeves. It was obvious that exhaust air was coming out of the join through those cut-out sections in the sleeves, and I figure this means that water can get in there as well (when riding in the rain there's a lot more liquid around than I could get out of a spray bottle).

So what do I do about it? I tried removing the inner sleeve and squeezing the other two to make them smaller and therefore minimise the gap in the cut out section, but then I couldn't get the silencer end clamped tight enough to even grip the exhaust pipe.

I hope this makes sense to someone. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online