78 dt175 overhaul

dt175E
This post is 4447 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys, ive had this bike since i was 15, im 22 now, i learned to ride on it and i want to fix it up. I was wondering if there was anyone who put a larger cc motor in that was a direct swap? also I was looking for a new motor to rebuild because the bottom end of mine really isnt worth putting together, something broke in the kick starter assembly and over years ive lost parts so it would be easier to buy a complete engine. any suggestions or leads would be great, thanks guys!

dirtbike.jpg

pulled the motor today and stripped it down.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i was planning on just getting it back together and cruising :) right now the only thing i am missing is the rear signal lights and i need the whole kickstarter assembly. I was curious if a DT400 or DT250 from the same year would be a direct swap in.

Hi

If it is more CC's you are after, I think some people used to bore out TY 175's to 200 cc, this might be an option after all if you get a replacment complete 175 engine you will have a spare top end to play with,

Here's a kickstarter assembly auction that ends in one day. It's from a 1980 but the kick was the same from 78-81 (E,F,G,H). The big catch with finding an engine in my experience is if they are ready for a rebuild, people tend to just take them apart and sell them in parts. If they are still running good they are on a bike and the quote I keep hearing from 2 strokers is "When you find an old 2 stroke that runs good, you buy it."

Seems to be lots of crankcases as parts on the bay, but this is my favorite place for oem parts at the best prices I've found on my dt175e - http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1978/DT175E/parts.html

Good luck!

The liquid cooled motors will go in without too much headache, (exhaust aside you'd need to cut and shut 2 to make 1). The LC certainly, i'm reasonably certain as well something around the late 90's like the early powervalve motors.

I have considered it myself several times, and may still do it. (Gets ready to duck flying spanners.)

I believe the ones later than that (post 2000) used the sw arm pivot as a mount.

Ah missed the bit about countrymen. :sorry:

could be me barking up the wrong tree though, for all i know hes Australian, kiwi...who knows?...no profile...no intro...No assistance