Improving visibility?

ddlooping
This post is 4569 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all :)

I was wondering what mods could be done to a bike (in my case an XVS 125) to increase its visibility?

i.e, make it less likely that other drivers do not see it by by night and/or day.

Please no "paint it fluorescent pink", "add huge laser beams..." jokes. :D

I'm thinking mainly of spotlights (shame neon lights are not legal), cool looking reflectors and such. ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

what mods could be done to a bike to increase its visibility?

Not a great deal I'm sorry to say!!

I assume you're referring to lessening your chances of being taken out by a car turning into your path?

Reflectors are of little value and require a light source to reflect off to make them visible to the person looking at them!

The reason why your rear reflector works is because the car driver who is looking at you has his headlights on, REFLECTING off your reflector.

During the day time you don't see a reflector...unless you happen to have the sun shining on it and that means you got to be riding with the sun on your back...........ALL the time............You'd ride in a 180 degree circle!

Flourescent jackets increase your chances of being seen........but contrary to belief .....not by much!

I work in A&E and there seems to be just an equal number of cyclist and bikers wearing day glo's to non wearers...but the vast majority are still taken out by car drivers who did'nt see them!

However, If Brussels get their way you'll have to have them! but until then.

More lights on your bike might help, Scooters in the 60's and the mod revival of the late 70's/80's saw lambrettas with loads of lights, but they still got knocked off.

Whilst YOU might be riding with due care and attention, the car driver will have plenty of distractions:- car radio, CD, back seat passengers, kids, eating,you name it, oh and .......mobile phones! the lot!!

All of which the car driver will rarely think it's his or her fault!.....its the bikers FAULT for being on the road.

Seriously,

Riding with ALL your senses fixed on self preservation is the best mod!

Headlight on, and with a truck right up your own backside is best! ......They will see the truck first!

and rarely does a car pull out into the path of a truck!

Its all true, in daylight my headlight is always on Main beam, i'd sooner the drivers think (#$ingtw*t) than not see me.

I try to read the traffic as best i can, eye contact and expecting every last one of em, INCLUDING bikes to do me injury has worked up to now.

I have had near misses, i also accept any 'gut feeling' when in traffic, no i'm not advocatic that phsychic crap, it may well be your subconcious picked up something you havent and its trying to tell you. Ever had the "I knew that was coming" moment.

Its better to wait extra time and see.

Its very negative but thats what we have. With car drivers looking at the problems they will only ever be fixed from a car drivers viewpoint, IE we are the issue that needs fixing not the car drivers.

Same as the commons shuffling feet on the 50%tax, its cos they all pay it. (well are supposed to).

Its all true, in daylight my headlight is always on Main beam, i'd sooner the drivers think (#$ingtw*t) than not see me.

I try to read the traffic as best i can, eye contact and expecting every last one of em, INCLUDING bikes to do me injury has worked up to now.

I have had near misses, i also accept any 'gut feeling' when in traffic, no i'm not advocatic that phsychic crap, it may well be your subconcious picked up something you havent and its trying to tell you. Ever had the "I knew that was coming" moment.

Its better to wait extra time and see.

Its very negative but thats what we have. With car drivers looking at the problems they will only ever be fixed from a car drivers viewpoint, IE we are the issue that needs fixing not the car drivers.

Same as the commons shuffling feet on the 50%tax, its cos they all pay it. (well are supposed to).

This is also what I do, but sometines you will still be caught out,i dont ride at night much though these days.

This is also what I do, but sometines you will still be caught out,i dont ride at night much though these days.

:shakeno: No choice, leave for work at 4am, its even worse then. People don't take notice of traffic lights, give way's and such. There also half asleep in going to work automode.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online