Best way to go about getting a full license

ddlooping
This post is 4569 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all :)

I've had a car driving license for 30 years and, after having purchased an XVS125, I'm after getting the bike one.

Considering my two-wheels experience consists of riding mopeds when I was a teenager (I'm 48) and, once in a while, 50cc scooters since, what in your opinion is the best way to go about it?

1) CBT, getting some road experience, taking a few lessons at a later date then going for the DAS.

2) Getting a 4/5 days training package that includes CBT+DAS (+ test booking etc...).

Thanks in advance ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I dont know the sequence for doing things (test wise) over there but

if i were you id go the fastest way of getting the full licence.

you can gain experience in your own time, and now that your not a young pup anymore you wont push the boundries beoned your capabilities untill your ready

Something I didn't think about: can I train for and take the DAS test with my 125cc?

Short answer - no. Slightly longer answer, the test must be taken on a 46bhp (or more) machine so it makes sense to do the training on the same bike. However, that doesn't stop you getting some practice in on your 125 in between training sessions.

If you do a 4/5 day "crash" course, be certain you're being taught how to ride, not just being coached through the test (examiner will expect a lifesaver around that lamppost, signal as you pass that shop, etc...) - one way will equip you to survive on 2 wheels out on the roads away from the test routes, the other will get you a licence quickly.

Just my 2d.

Thanks for the info, Pete. :)

I do intend to do an advance training at some stage, as I want to be as best a driver as I can.

There are enough potential dangers on the road without creating some myself (both for my own safety and others').

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online