YB 100 Oil pump not working

Adil Jams
This post is 4240 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have Yamaha YB 100 1982 Japan assembled. Oil pump is not working so I mix oil in the petrol. Sometimes when I am not careful, when I am running my bike on a busy road, its engine gets ceased. And it is dangerous.

Is getting oil pump working again is very difficult? What should I do?

I want my bike to be strong and healthy :)

Thanks,

Adil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What I have observed is that the mobile oil pump that is located near carburator (sorry I am poor in vocabulary) is not moving. When it used to work the small piston or part of it that used to move up and down. I went to a mechanic and he said that a new pump is needed. Is that true or he is just trying to earn money from me.

If that part is not moving up and down, it means that it is not channeling oil to be mixed with petrol before burning. I am sorry that I don't know where the mixing takes place. Somewhere in this oil pump, in carburator or in the piston area.

Please ask me further questions. By coming to this site and looking at the enthusiasm you guys have for your machine ie bikes, I realize that a guy should have good knowledge and skills to handle most problems of his bike himself :)

Thanks,

Adil

• 8 months later...

I have a 1973 yamaha yb100. i'm in kuala lumpur, malaysia. all accounts are that the pump is not working. I've changed spark plugs, gone through various other supposed fixes. The pump is also leaking, which is a clear indicator it's not doing what it's supposed to. I've already supposedly had a shop rebuild it. Labor here is fairly inexpensive but I do not want to keep rebuilding. The shop mechanic is an old timer with lots of nice old school classic bikes under their watch, so I believe they know what they're doing.

He says not to run the bike at full throttle. The engine will seize simply because the pump is not sending in enough oil, and even if you add directly into the tank, the mix is just not sufficient enough. I've had the exact same problem as you, engine seizing and dying while on the highway at high speed. Not a good situation. If you've tried everything else, and it doesn't help, best to change the pump if you can replace it. Otherwise, just ride slow.

I'm on the hunt for another pump, but it seems since it's such an old bike, it's rare. and i don't think another rebuild will do much good.