Dogs

Noise
This post is 4370 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:eusa_think: well then ? the sheer sight and uglyness must of scared them shitless and they croaked it :razz:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its all booked, next Saturday at 1400hrs we are going up to Taunton to meet Tammy, she is a 2yr old Labrador X with Husky (gold coat with bright blue eyes) very friendly, great with kids and other dogs but can be dominant to other dogs at home, she hates cats and will chase them all day.

She was re-homed but her new owners had chickens (i say HAD) lol Tammy thought it was Christmas come early.

We are just going up to meet her and see how she is, and how the missus is with her etc then we will most likely go up another 2-3 times to bond etc and then if all goes well hopefully have her in a few more weeks.

We've had dogs all our lifes, and the best tempered, softest cuddly fluff ball was the rottweiler, we've had two of them, both equally soft.

No need to be scared of them as the ones you see often portraid as being nasty, are bred to do it, like any other nastry guard dog.

Ours are so soft its unbelievable, they keep their guard sense of responsibility though, they tend to sit outside your room or with you, and will sit near and door they can see through, to watch, if they hear anything suspicious they bark, and when one growls your neighbours will feel it through the walls.

Its how they are brought up, when shown love and care, they are loving, but if neglected, or not shown affection, they will come to ignore you and be distant, they arnt extremely fussy either, once they are an adult they will simply sit with you not slobber all over you.

Simple set of commands and rules keeps them in check.

I would advise against getting any big dog that you can't bring up from a puppy.

Whys that then? its just that the last dog we had when i was living with the folks was a blue merl colly called Trip and he was a stray which we got from a rescue center and he was a fab dog, very affectionate and loyal, still had a bit of stray in him as when we walked him he just totally ignored us and done his own thing till we showed him his bone n he come running back.

I see what you are saying in a way but if every one followed this advice then no big dog will ever be rescued and will all be off to Davey Jones locker.

I agree with you, but if I had kids, or a wife petrified of dogs, I would'nt want to get a 4 year old dog than I dont know, thats for any dog never mid big ones.

If it was me I wouldn't be bothered the slightest about getting one thats been aiding people, as I know they are trained to a high standard.

You wont find a bigger lover of dogs than me, I cried last night over a dog I lost 6 months ago, then I cried because I felt guilty because I cant remember much of a rotty we had for only one year, lost due to cancer.

Any dog from anywhere deserves a chance, as much as I have trusted all my dogs 100%, I wouldn't leave a toddler with any dog, maybe its 99.9%, but its common sense. Things go wrong, even if the dog didnt even mean to and just paniced.

For the OPs question I believe an aid dog would be fine.

Quoted statement is retracted as its too broad of a sentance and didnt hit exactly what I meant. Toddlers and big dogs is nothing to do with this but it was in my head for when I wrote that sentance...

I agree with ya noise, I had just woke up when I wrote it.

Lol na dont worry dude i exactly the same when i write things........makes sense to me when i write it but every one else don't pmsl.

The missus isn't petrified with every dog out there its just German sheps as her next door neighbor had one that bit her but she's seen some about and meet one of them that a right old soppy git n fallen in love with him but as we all know all dogs have there own traits so can never trust a dog 100%. would you trust every human being 100%? um.....no lol

If a dog was dangerous then a rescue home wouldnt put it up for adoption?

Just ask the right questions and find out as much as you can about its history rather than jump in blind as you fell in love with its looks.

Yer im phoning up the kennel club later today to ask them whats the best/right questions to ask the rescue center about the dog but Ive already told the missus we are only going there on Friday to "LOOK" will take her out for a walk and that to see what she is like she is a 2 year old golden Labrador Husky X (gold lab but with bright blue eyes!)

It always starts with 'a look' dont be suprised if you find yourself coming home with her. :D

Lol yer thats what im thinking! we will see tho i guess, :eusa_think:

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally fostered a dog on Sunday! she i absolutely ace!

She is a 2 year old golden Lab cross with Husky, She is more white than gold and has the blue eyes, fantastic with my daughter and great with other dogs but cant live with other dogs due to the dominance of the husky side of things. The only bad points she has is that she isnt lead trained as such and likes to pull a bit but im slowly getting there with the aid of a clicker and an anti pull harness (i hate collars for walking only use them for an ID tag) and she is also a bit bouncy at times but as soon as she is calm she is as mellow as a stoned hippy!

Will get some pics uploaded soon for ya!

Thanks for all the tips guys and gals ;)

Hey Noise

I think you have made a good choice. We currently have 2 yellow Labs which we use for bird hunting. Labs are smart, learn quickly, are eager to please, and are very loyal.

In the past we have had 3 other yellows and a black lab.

The fact that the dog you selected is not a pure bred can be a bonus. A lot of pure bred dogs have medical problems that manifest themselves after 5 yrs of age. Both German Shepard and Labs suffer from hip displacia. You have less chance of inherited medical problems with a cross breed.

We live out in the bush and for the most part Labs do not bark much. If you want a dog that barks a lot and will warn you of intruders then get a Chiwowoww. (spelt wrong) and a shotgun (spelt right, eh!) That's what we've done!

Big dogs require a lot of exercise. I take our Labs for a 6km run every 2nd day and spend at least an hour a day either reinforcing their training or just playing with them.

In any event enjoy your dog, treat it with respect, and never strike it.

Only one other comment, the correct name is Yellow Lab not Golden Lab. Golden Retrievers are not Labs.

Ride safe.

Rocky

Hey Rocky,

Cheers for the advice, which is always greatly received! i think she is starting to come out of her shell a wee bit more now but i think too is her past as every time i go to put her harness on she cowers down and lies on the floor instead of the normal "O my god im going for another walk WOO HOO!!!" behavior from a dog which is a bit up setting to see really so im giving her loads of loving and praise each and every time i take her out (which is twice a day) great for her but at 04:45am is a bit of a roll out of your pit type thing for me :D but hay its quite nice being one of the first people up and not have any one or noise around so you can just enjoy the walk.

Any hoo thanks again for every thing and i will try and get some pics of her up soon.

Another important thing to bare in mind when buying a puppy from a breeder is to make sure you see the parents!

What! why would you want to see the breeders parents? :crazy:

The Akita reminds of the Norweigan Elkhound, thats a breed id love to have.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online