Final drive and engine oil leaks

lpapo
This post is 4574 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

My maxim is leaking either oil or final drive oil or both. How does the final drive "breather" on these bikes work?? Is it not supposed to have some kind of hole or valve in it or be in two pieces so there can be air exchange??? Possible someone put the wrong one in? Mine does not move or seem to have any sort of hole in it........Is it supposed to be removable also? Cuz mine wont budge. Dont wanna break it......The bike also seems to be venting oil out the crankcase breather tube. Seems to happen after longer highway type drives. Have I put too much oil in it or do i have bigger problems??? The oil does not appear contaminated. There seems to be another oil leak underneath the bike but I'm not sure what? Are these bikes common for anything else as far as oil and final drive leaks?? FYI Bike claims to have 44,000km on it.

Hope someone can help

THANKS!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

This is how I would investigate the problems

Check oil levels to make sure that they are not overfull, the differential oil level should be filled to the bottom of the filler neck with the bike upright and on a flat level surface, (that is if it is the same as my old Divi 900) if the level is ok then you will need to investigate further, there should be no real pressure in the diff. I believe the vent is there to prevent heat expansion in the diff casing creating a pressure,

The engine: Make sure the oil level is correct, If this too is the same as the Divi then I recall that I used to run the bike to push the oil round the engine then turn the engine off and let the oil settle the level was taken from a sight glass on the side of the engine block with the bike upright and on a level surface. But if the crank case is being pressurised then I would compression test the cylinders to find out if the compressed combustion gasses are leaking into the crank case (perhaps via piston rings, or across the head gasket). If the breather vent smells of un-burnt petrol then this could be a symptom of the fuel gas charge escaping past the piston/head gasket,

Hope that the problem is just over filling the levels.

In my experience the Differential and engines on these bikes should be good for 90,000 miles, 145000 kms plus if looked after

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online