Kevlar jeans

Toutsuite
This post is 4477 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought some Hood jeans last year - with the hard Knee and thigh protection - and have been pleased with them.

I got them to leave them a couple of inches longer than I would normally have them so they don't ride up on the bike.

My winter pair are fabric.

I cannot report on the protecvtion - I have not fallen off

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good leathers can be quite cheap. Look for end of season sales.

I picked up two £180 Frank Thomas armoured jackets for £30 each and a set of £90 Halvarssons armoured trousers for £40.

BRAND new, still in packaging, just 'so last season'...

It's black leather - It's never out of fashion!!

I picked up a pair of leather jeans from a shop in camden lock, plain black (no laced sides or any of that Village People crap!), £75. They had a pair of armoured riding leathers for £40, but it was about 2 sizes too small for me. I'm still going to get some kevlar jeans/combats for the 30mph pootle round London's streets though.

there was a summer back in '09 where i was riding the dt around town in nothing but a shirt, shorts and flip-flops (this dress-code is known as "being a squid"), completely fecking stupid, never doing it again

my current kit of choice - draggin' jeans and my trust old Tuzo jacket i bought on offer for £50 back when i had the DT, and a pair of my old RAF issue boots, i do have a set of leather trousers for when it is cold, wet or the roads are more likely to pose an increased hazard, but the 35 miles ride from home to work is usually done in just the draggins' and the jacket with a long sleeved shirt on underneath, as is most of my travel around newbury town on the XJ.

things may change when i get a chance to really open that fireblade up on the straights,

I must admit that for short journeys around London, there will be days when I'll wear ordinary trousers on the bike. In traffic, with a 30mph speed limit, there are many bad things that can happen to a rider, but a prolonged slide is not very likely. Think about it: in traffic you can be knocked off your bike by e.g someone coming out of a side street without looking, or by a pedestrian crossing the road wherever and whenever they fecking well please, or a sideswipe, or even a head on collision (flying-spaghetti-monster forbid!) with some other vehicle. As long as any of the above doesn't happen at great speed, i.e. above the speed limit, a good helmet and armour on your jacket are more important, as the issue in such instances is broken bones, not road rash - you just aren't going fast enough. Let's face it, who here would bother with all the expensive protective gear if you were riding a 50cc moped? Would you buy leathers for the legs? Or a power ranger suit? Well, in London traffic, a draggie isn't necessarily faster than a moped!

On the rare occasions when I might ride to work (a 4 mile journey, 30mph speed limit all the way), when the weather is too good to resist, and possibly too warm, I might risk just wearing my work trousers.

However, for any forays onto roads that allow you to go faster, it will be either the kevlars or the leathers. And for motorways, the leathers only.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online