DT175E correct light switch

flyday58
This post is 4489 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good day all,

In looking around the different manuals available, I see that in one place the light switch console for my 1978 DT has an on-off switch and a dimmer. In another place only the dimmer is present. My original harness seems to support the latter single-switch set-up, so I'm wondering if the two-switch is incorrect or a mid-year changeover. Loosing precious brain cells on this one, gents ( and ladies, if present ;))).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so Richard, what switches are on your lefthand switch unit?

my bike (granted..a uk model)

position 3* with the ignition switch brings on the tail and front pilot lamp even with the lights set to OFF on the handlebar unit, in fact the handlebar unit only controls the headlamp bulb, so set it to ON with key at position 3 for the headlamp to work

*...Position 1 being OFF

Here are iphone pics of the ignition and light switch:

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

My U.S. spec ignition switch has only the Off-On positions. Oh, I've tried the U.S. yamaforums but again, they are mostly for jet-propelled motorway terrors, not much in the way of Enduros.

yeah the wiring diagram is in the Haynes book, the one with the brown cover you said you were going to get?

and.......... your bike is the DT175F (Not E)

The E does have the lights switchable

F model has no light switch so I assume the lights are always on

Haynes ISBN 1 85010 300 3

Have you tried this American forum, but of course our is better ;)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/47-vintage/

and.......... your bike is the DT175F (Not E)

I would tend to bow to your expertise in this matter, except that the matched engine and frame serial numbers begin 2A7, which everything I've read says is a '78 vintage. Prithee?

yeah good point dT175F is 2N5 prefix

however the DT175F has the same electrics as yours...hey ho

have a look here, you can clearly see the switch item#3 in the handle fiche, to me that makes yours a 175F, i really cant imagine someone changed the loom and switch at any point

http://www.cmsnl.com...8692/partslist/

http://www.cmsnl.com...8652/partslist/

yeah good point dT175F is 2N5 prefix

however the DT175F has the same electrics as yours...hey ho

have a look here, you can clearly see the switch item#3 in the handle fiche, to me that makes yours a 175F, i really cant imagine someone changed the loom and switch at any point

http://www.cmsnl.com...8692/partslist/

http://www.cmsnl.com...8652/partslist/

Agreed. Looking at pics available around the net, the '79 loom has a single 4-pin plug plus three individual wires, which is what I have. The '78 loom has a single 6-pin plug plus 7 individual wires, so WTH? Then there's this guy: http://www.ebay.com/...11cf4bb&vxp=mtr

Even shows the red DT as a contributing source. Makes me think Yamaha pulled a switcheroo mid-year on this model. Sure would like to have control of the lights(bloody Americans :crazy: ) but not enough to change out the entire harness.

BTW, thanks for the link to the Thumper site, they've got some good tech over there. I just feel comfy over here!

On further search, it appears that there was a switch mid-year from the separate lights/dimmer arrangement to dimmer only. Parts houses list two looms, one with the '2A7' designation and one with the '79 '2N5' number. But wait! My loom has the 2A7-82590-50 number right on it. Appears to have a 77-09-25 date code also. Curiouser and curiouser.

On further search, it appears that there was a switch mid-year from the separate lights/dimmer arrangement to dimmer only. Parts houses list two looms, one with the '2A7' designation and one with the '79 '2N5' number. But wait! My loom has the 2A7-82590-50 number right on it. Appears to have a 77-09-25 date code also. Curiouser and curiouser.

2A7 will represent 'DT175'

82590 will represent 'Wiring Loom'

'50' is revision number,

no doubt the switchable lights loom doesnt end with 50

in fact it doesnt, i checked...it ends with '20'

I would think the 2A7-82590-50 loom is the same as one marked 2N5-82590-50

Edited by alexasigno
Removed link to copyrighted material

2A7 will represent 'DT175'

82590 will represent 'Wiring Loom'

'50' is revision number,

no doubt the switchable lights loom doesnt end with 50

in fact it doesnt, i checked...it ends with '20'

I would think the 2A7-82590-50 loom is the same as one marked 2N5-82590-50

I agree with all, oh Sage One. 2N5 covers the '79s but evidently Mr. Hasigawa Yamaha decided to put 'em on end-of-the-line '78s to screw with guys like me 30+ years on. That worked out just fine. Anyway, I will leave things as they are and hope, five years from now, that I will remember this discussion and not ask the whole thing all over again. Thanks for all the help ,Paul et all.

Edited by alexasigno

Indeed, Sir. Got my very own copy last week. Also picked up the supplement and downloaded the parts manual, so I am now well-armed, shop-wise! :thumb: Still(slowly) moving towards a 12-volt convert, the gents at the local bike shop GAVE me the 6 volt turn and stop bulbs they had because they had been on the shelf so long the stocking numbers had vanished! They mostly laughed me out the door...gits! :hah:

i dont ride mine on unlit roads in the dark (any longer) so i'm not affected by the poor lighting, if i did i would be doing the same i guess.

aside from NEO's conversion topic then you may find this usefu

l

Edited by alexasigno

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online