Water in DEP exhaust

This post is 4585 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all,

a couple weeks back i had a major case of misjudging a puddle ( more like a pond) and found my bike quickly submerged .

And the exhaust filed up with water. Anyway after 30mins of trying to get it back started and heaps of water flushing out the back the exhaust sounded terrible!.

It is a DEP exhaust so i expected it to sound kinda tinny but now its really loud and sound completely different, whats happened??

G

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depending on what kind of packing is in them DEP's,,,,,,, (wool or Steel, i'm not sure)

If its wool then mabey it has gone all soggy from getting wet and now isnt doing its silencing job at all

It is completely dry now, changed the oil etc.

Assuming the packing has been all squished, should i lookinto replacing it ? or is it just a noise thing?

It is completely dry now, changed the oil etc.

Assuming the packing has been all squished, should i lookinto replacing it ? or is it just a noise thing?

Can you open up them DEP's to have a look an see if its squashed,,,,,,,, is the back of the DEP just rivited on,,,,if so id'd have it off for a look.

In a way, it is just a noise thing,,,,,,,,,,BUT (important) your exhaust is now more free-flowing so your engine will now be running that bit more lean.

You could leave the exhaust noisy if ya want but you will have to adjust your carb to suit.

It would be far easier to open the silencer and re-pack with new wool / nylon,,,,whatever its called.

Have a look at exhaust and see whats in there in terms of packing

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online