FJ1100 or NOT?

NewRider
This post is 7022 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay, Im looking into buying my first street bike and would like some info. I have found a 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 for sale in my town. They want $2000 for it it has just over 30,000miles on it and was taken very good care of (I know the past two owners of it). It has never been put down. I will just say it is in VERY good shape. Is it a good deal or not? Would this make a good starting bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Would this make a good starting bike?

Sounds like a good bike...but not for you.

Too old, too big, too heavy, too powerful.

Start out on something like a 500/600cc modern standard....Kawasaki 500 twin, Yamaha 600 Seca....or if you want more performance than that, then think about a Suzuki Bandit 600.

I think Pete's right......the half-liter range (500-600cc) make much better starter bikes.

Another thing is that the FJ1100's were known for having 2nd gear problems.......which I think Yamaha fixed by the time the 1200's came out.

If you do end up getting the FJ11......you'll be faced with a pretty steep learning curve. :huh:

Hate to Rain on your Parade .....coz it sounds like you've got a good deal lined up there, but without more streetbike experience, it could be a recipe for disaster. :unsure:

BTW...... :welcome: to the Forum ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with Y'head. I had an FJ1200 and loved it, never a moment's trouble mechanically, but Holy Dooley, that was one fast motorcycle! I shudder at the idea of a comparative novice riding one.

And, predictable as it was, it nearly cost me my right arm! (The doctors were serious about amputation! Morons!)

There's a reason why we limit learners to smaller bikes, and the FJ is one of them!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online