XS1100 advice needed

Speed Devil
This post is 3845 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, so I now know that the XS Eleven that i am after is a 1980 model.

It has some cosmetic damage, but nothing that can't be fixed or replaced. My biggest headache is that the bike was last licensed in 1986 and there are no papers. So I will have plenty of work to get the bike into my name which is going to cost between $375 and $750. It will probably also take a few months to get the process completed with the state of our authorities here. I don't mind spending the bucks on the licensing, as I can get the bike for $250. So it will still be a bit of a bargain.

Another option I have is to buy up a Midnight Specail, which is licensed, but the the head will need new valves and a new crank (according to the advert). I was then thinking of stripping down the motor of the unlicensed bike and using the spares to rebuild the midnight special's motor. Unfortunately the guy lives about 700km from me so I'm not really keen to go all the way down and see that the motor is completely stuffed and cannot be salvaged. I have no history on the bike so don't know what caused all the damage.

What does concern me is that the ad said it will need a new crank. I do not know if there will be any damage to the sub assembly (block) itself, apecailly where the bearings will have to go back. There might even be problems with the bore and maybe damage to the pistons if the valves hit the piston heads.

Questions:

1) Are the motors from the Mdinight special and XS Eleven the same or were there mods between the different models?

2) If the motors are identical, what do you think the chances are of the sub assemly being totally stuffed?

My main concern is the sub assembly, as that is where the engine no. is usually stamped and i will have to reuse it. All other parts I can build over from the XS eleven.

I will also be posting on a site dedicated to XS 1100's, but just mabyb there is someone here who can also give some advice.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi speeddevil,

To my knowledge the engine is the same. I am not shure if the framework is the same, specially the construction around the fuel tank. The enginenummer is part of the enginepart and not part from an removeble part such as the alternator housing.

Henk

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online