To ABS or not to ABS, that is the question ...

sisu
This post is 4441 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Firstly apologies for using the title to introduce culture to the forum :eusa_shifty:

Continuing my stream of newbie questions - I am down to 2 bikes for my first 'big' bike. Barring a bit of difference in the toys and a few k in mileage the difference between the bikes is that one has ABS.

Especially as this is my first big bike is the ABS worth a couple of hundred extra? I am aware of the use of ABS generally, albeit on cars (am I allowed to use the 'c' word on the forum?) but am not sure how valuable it is generally. Both bikes are relatvely young and still have some Yamaha warranty so not concerned about being able to spot a defect with the ABS.

Any comments or advice appreciate!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ive never had a bike with ABS,,,,,ive ridden bikes with ABS

So my judgment might be off a bit

To me ABS is over-rated,,,,,, grand if its on the bike when you buy but i wouldnt fork out the money just to have it.

Learn to ride correctly and ABS wont even come into the equasion (is that spelt right?)

If you can get ABS for only a little more, it has got to be worth considering. A lot of rider-error crashes are either a locked front wheel causing the front wheel to slide out or a over-zealous rear braking, causing a lock and the back end to slide-away.

Some folk will say "you need to have a non-ABS bike first to learn the ropes", but things that make your riding inherently more safe must be good.

I haven't yet ridden an ABS equipped machine, but i would think it will be standard on all new bikes within 10 years.

Id say learn to ride without it as you may start to rely on it and if you were to buy a bike in the future without abs it might catch you out.

With that said i have ridden a bike with abs and i wasnt pushing the brakes hard enough for it to engage anyway and that was on a track.

If its not much different in price then go for it.

Hi Sisu

My 900 Divi did not have ABS, the brakes were ok, though I felt the bike was a bit heavy for them when braking at speed. Some times leading to a vague feeling pilling into corners,

(Most of my mate’s bikes are sports bikes, I was often overworking the brakes playing catch up)

I now have a FJR 1300, this has ABS as standard and the brakes are also linked. This bike is a quicker and heavier than the Divi but the way it feels when on the brakes is more reassuring,

(I know this difference could be down to the FJR being a better bike)

But on balance, I would probably go for ABS if the price was not too high, unless I was a track day fiend,

I have ridden the FJR on a quiet dry road and deliberately attempted to get the ABS to function, I was very supprised at how hard I was able to push the tyres before I felt the ABS working and how stable the bike was when the ABS was functioning, I have not got the bottle, stupidity or skill to be this adventurous in slippy conditions, I also feel that once a tyre is sliding sideways the aid ABS can give is limited untill the grip comes back.

Each time I ride my bike I learn somthing new, so No doubt other more skilled riders will have better informed opinions,

Thanks for all the responses folks - much appreciated.

I wasn't particularly going for ABS but one of the bike had it so just feeling up opinions on the importance. Should know by the weekend which one I have gone for ... wil bore you all with pictures when/if I get it :hyper:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online