Purchasing Guide; 850 midnight special

stgoulet
This post is 4604 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am new to the forum and am hoping to find somebody browsing with some experience under their belt. I love classic motorcycles and recently discovered a 1980 xs850 midnight special edition for an extremely reasonable price. I will be going to check it out soon, hopefully test her out, but was curious if anyone knew what I should look for. I am a novice mechanic, have fixed up one 1979 xs400 already, but want to know what things are commonly worn out as well as what I should pay attention too. I know the basics, compression in the cylinders, not too much rust, no standing gas in the carbs, but I'm interested in some specific things that are known to be faulty. I thank anyone ahead of time for some insight.

Seth Goulet

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

check the output bearing on the shaft drive, in second gear and off/on throttle, listen for clunking

if you've done an xs400 you will see a lot of similarities ie brakes running gear etc so you should be fairly comfortable with it.

come and say ciao in the new members section

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online