1981 Yamaha 550 Maxim (Need Help!)

cmfj1979
This post is 4607 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello

I just bought a 1981 Yamaha 550 Maxim and I want to customize it! The bike is stock and in great condition, but im really tall so I need to make adjustments as well as some cosmetic upgrades. Right now my handlebars are to small so I want to install 12inch ape hangers, I think its 7/8 bars but im not sure. Also all the switch housings, brake and clutch etc etc on the handlebars are broken and worn and I would like to replace EVERYTHING on the handlebars with CHROME! The speedometer works but the tac does not so I would also like to replace both with chrome as well. So my question is, where can I get these things and how do I know if it will wire up and fit? I don't mind if it ends up being expensive, I want to make this bike my own but I have no idea where to start and I don't want to start ordering stuff that wont fit or work! Any advice would be great!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

before you start to fit high bars consuder the extra work in getting new control canles specially made, and to a lesser extent...extending the electric cables, post in the new members section a hello is good :thumb:

oh and i deleted the two other same posts...one's enough...just leads to confusion

why not just fit bar risers, a far better option and you'll probably get away with those without any other changes?

Hello, thanks for the reply! I want to change the handlebars and everything on it. I am 6ft 7in tall so risers wont cut it unfortunately and it doesn't solve the worn broken stuff on the bars either. Also I have a chrome fixation and everything on the bars now is black lol! Would something like this ---> http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BW-WIRED-CONTROLS-LATE&CartID= work?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online