First Fazer?

sisu
This post is 4419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had been looking at Divi's for a first big bike however have ended up looking at a couple of 600 Fazers (a 98 and a 2002).

Anyone have any comments on a Fazer as a first 'big' bike? Have read a bit about the differences which seem, on the surface, to boil down to the Divi being a bit more forgiving and the Fazer being a bit more potentially lively.

Assuming I am ok with the Divi (and an MT-03 from my DAS (though didn't like the throttle on the MT-03)) is the Fazer much of an adjustment?

Need to go read up on the difference between a 98 and 2002 bike but if anyone has any general pointers that would also be helpful.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1998 and 2002 Fazer's are the same,,,,,,,, same bike, same engine,,,,,,only difference is a paint job

Fazer is well forgiving too just like the divi,,,,,, only that it has more horses in its engine. There, there if you want to use them, but dont affect riding ability.

Divi is like,,,,,,well put it this way - a diesel engine,,,,,,slow and tends to go forever.

Both are great bikes,,,,,,,,, great engines that last and bikes that are easy to ride.

My opnion,,,,, buy a Fazer,,,, when your confidence grows, you will get boored with the Divi

Try an get a Foxeye model as the older ones tend to fetch more money.

I sold a honda CBR600f to buy a Fazer,,,,,but that was more for comfort than anything else.

The choice is yours but i think the FZS is a better bike,,,,,,,, if your comming from a YBR both bikes will make you happy.

Welcome to the YOC

Pat

Thanks Pat,

Is there a max mileage I should balk at? Seen a 98 Fazer at 20k and a 2002 at 48k ... my understanding is that the engines are fairly bullet proof but is there a point they are likely to get tired or need an overhaul?

Id say 20k would be fine but 48k maybe a bit high. Ideally try and find one with under 25k if possible. Although the lower mileage doesnt necessarily mean itl be a better condition bike.

Thanks Pat,

Is there a max mileage I should balk at? Seen a 98 Fazer at 20k and a 2002 at 48k ... my understanding is that the engines are fairly bullet proof but is there a point they are likely to get tired or need an overhaul?

Sorry didnt see your post till now.

Well lower milage is always good,,,,,, a bike with 20k on it would be fine,,,,,50k i wouldnt bother myself. ( if it was my bike at this miles i wouldnt mind as i would know how it was serviced)

You would need to take someone with you thats knows what to look out for when buying, other than that youll just have to to a Valve check when she is due one. So it wont need an overhaul as such,,,,, i've seen 2 Fazers now geting valves checked at 75k miles,,, one need 2 shims and the other was spot on.

Again take someone with you if your not confident,,, and definatly dont buy without seeing, pictures can hide a fortune of work needed.

Fazer tops out at 135mph but is also happy doing 20mph

For you i think its the fazer instead of the Divi,,,,,,Unless,,Divi 900 is a different story though),,,,,,,, but it can come to money at the end of the day

More questions,,,,,, ask away

Just interested, " why is the Fazer faster, ? is it higher reving ? if so ,and the same engine, is it diferent Camshafts, and carbs,, ? :eusa_think:

Maybe I can be of some help with purchasing a Fazer..

My Fazer 600 (Gold and Black) from 1998 is much travelled 98000 miles, various trips around Europe, daily use locally around Devon countryside through all seasons.

In 2004 I exported the bike to Norway where I now live. (Great roads here albeit the speed limits are much lower.) the weather is fairly shitty autumn and spring so the bike is constantly open to water/salt/corrosion.

Here it is not possible to use a bike between December and mid march, so the bike sits under two covers in snow and temperatures up to -30 degrees. Do I have a problem starting the bike after 3-4 months I hear you say, I am not a particularly religeous person but a find a quick prayer to the lord works fine for me !

I try to start the bike once a month if I can get to it under the snow while it is "in hibernation" so I liken the bike to that of a squirrel.

Press the starter button once , maybe twice if I forget to put the choke on ! cough cough and within a few seconds it is running normally. Get on and ride for the rest of the year.

Don't forget to have dealer servicing that's my tip. A good chain/sprockets and tyres go a long way to performance satisfaction, there is not much to go wrong on a fazer.

Look after it properly with a gentle scrub and wash, I spray mine with a silicon for protection. She looks beautiful after a wash.

I had to replace the radiator last year when a stone went through it ( it was fairly rotten inside) cost me 200 quid, availablity of parts are limited. Thats the biggest cost i have had that I would not consider a "consumable item"

If you do chose a Fazer like mine you will not be disappointed unless you are unlucky and pick up a badly treated one.

On MCN website I found in the forum how to hot wire the lights so I have both lights on which is good cos the lights are normally shite I have improved this with fitting a Phillips 70% extra lamp.

One last tip, fit a Scorpion can, bloody hell it sounds good.

Corrosion can be a problem if you let it get out of control.

My last lengthy trip was from Haugesund, Norway (home) to Redruth in Cornwall last year, I did it almost non-stop in 39 hours, that includes three car ferry crossings The bike was fantastic.

Happy riding....

Alan.

I also had a Fazer FZS600 (2001) until recently. Sold it with 24,000 on the clock. Great bike, never any problems, can shift when it needs to or plod along when you want it too. There's plenty of them out there for £1,500 to £2,500 in great condition. Would recommend to anyone.

One other bike to consider would be a Suzuki Bandit as they're similarly bullet proof and there's plenty available

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online