XS 250 . Flat battery ?

julien
This post is 4609 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys , Julien here ,

Things are going yamanuts at the moment ,yamahas are coming at me from all sides. Along with the 2 yamms i got recently , a friend of mine has got me tinkering with his xs250 . I'v sorted the carbs and now it runs sweet as a nut ( this bike is suprisingly good fun ) but after about ten minutes it starts to cough and splutter and has flattened the battery . It will do this even if you dont start it with the ignition left on . I know my mate has messed with the wiring as he has bobbed this bike so that could be it , and i will go over all the wiring when i get a mo' but does anybody know how to check the generator ?

Probably a bit of a pain to explain to a numpty like me I know, but it would be much appreciated . Im crap at electrics .

My parents are coming out to spain in a week with a suitcase of DT175 bits so I can make a start on my project . Will keep you all up to date with that as it hapens and try and get some pics of the progress.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

get a multimeter and run the engine to 3k revs.

across the battery you should be seeing 13.5 - 14.5 volts

don't know how old the bike is, if you have a mechanical voltage regulator, you can adjust the output.

you need good battery or it won't charge.

check out my rewire in my blog (hint, click on my signature)

further info in the classic section sticky or www.xs400.com

Bike is a 1980....thanks for the help, just been admiring your Flattracker!....Got to watch Rugby now! Will try your solution tomorrow.