Hello From Ohio

Dan53
This post is 4606 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my name is Dan and I live near Youngstown, OH.

I have a 1968 Yahama YL-1 that was bought by my uncle and then was owned by my father. It hasn't left the garage in well over 30 years. My whole life I've wanted to get it back on the road, and I guess the time has finally come. The chrome is all pitted but otherwise it's in excellent shape and I don't think it will be much of a challenge at all to get it running.

Only problem is that I know nothing about motorcycles. I've never even driven one. I do restore vintage Volkswagens for a living, though, so hopefully some of that will transfer over.

I am sure this place will be a very valuable resource for me.

Thanks for having me!

IMG_0352.jpg

Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Dan and Welcome!

Im sure your be fine at restoring the bike with your skills with a wrench, think a bike being the same as a car just with two wheels missing and the engine strapped between your legs with your baby maker hovering just above it! ;)

Chrome is my pet hate, i loath the stuff, but its easy to restore. the paint work if its a bit tatty will come up a treat with some paint renovating polish, and as for getting it to start just change the spark plugs and give her fresh fuel and a fully charged battery then im sure that should at least give you some sign of her starting ;)

Hi Dan

I am an ex Heavy Goods Vehicle mechanic and an ex Aircraft engineer, The only addition to the tools I already had has been a magneto puller, so as Noise states the skills are transferable, I find that 2 strokes are just as entertaining as any other engine. however I always research tasks that I am unfamiliar with first, such as, before I re-spoked the rear wheel I found out about measuring the hub off set before I cut the spokes out, some thing that I had not originally thought about doing,

Hi Dan and welcome to the YOC, always nice to have a project and as the lads have said your spanner skills will come in handy when you start work on your bike, Oh one other thing you RIDE a bike and DRIVE a car, you'll know what I mean when you get it going, stay safe and ask for advice BEFORE getting it out on the road, car drivers are oblivious of bike riders so it's a completely different set of rules when your out and about. Good luck. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online