dt50cc ignition.1981

palanchou
This post is 4612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, just rebuilt this bike, problems with ignition.ive replaced ignition coil, points, condencer.. and re wired.now i get4 out of 6 sparks.this is with the ht. wire 6 mm. from head bolt. screwed plug in, not connected to ht coil.kicked her over. not a spark at all. any genius out there.thanks for any help bj.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi, just rebuilt this bike, problems with ignition.ive replaced ignition coil, points, condencer.. and re wired.now i get4 out of 6 sparks.this is with the ht. wire 6 mm. from head bolt. screwed plug in, not connected to ht coil.kicked her over. not a spark at all. any genius out there.thanks for any help bj.

I'd start that again and explain properly what the problem is. The only person who understands that post is you i imagine.

Is there any spark at the points? Disturbed the stator at all? Tried other plugs? Proved the wiring?

Need a decent paragraph, thats all.

thanks cynic for replying. ive had problems getting a consistent spark, since i built the bike. so, i thought i would start from basics. replaced ig. coil, points & capacitor. removed plug ,& ngk resistor plug cap. then i set the plug wire 6mm from head bolt 6 kick starts only 4 sparks. put the plug back in the head, not connected to plug wire, kicked her over 6 more times, not a spark in sight. bj.

does the plug spark when connected to the HT wire and just laying on the cylinder head?

Its not normal practice to screw in the spark plug and then hold the wire 6mm from it, how do you know you are 6mm for example...and are you holding it by hand or have you fabricated something to keep a constant 6mm?

Only an ignition system in great shape will jump the 6mm anyhow, in reality it only has to jump a tenth of that gap at the spark electrode!

Having cut my motorcycling teeth on your bikes predecessor (the m) and having learn't a few of the gremlins.

Make certain the cap its self and cap to lead connections are good, have a couple of proven plugs to hand even if they are from cars. Check the earths, esp if the frame has been re done, they can get covered. Even run a temporary one from the HT coil to the engine, (NOT the battery) if its easier for now.

Disconnect the kill switch at the headlight so your sure that isn't tracking, crank the bike over a couple of times in the dark to see any sparking at the points, there should be just a little, you may catch sight of other unwanted earth tracking around the engine.

Lastly, does it actually run at all?.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online