hello from a new owner

yamily
This post is 4614 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there. I bought my first motorcycle a few weeks ago - a XS400. Previous owner had said it was running a little rough a few years ago and took off the tank to do some maintenance... and never finished the job.

After cleaning out a strange green gunk (is that what gas looks like when it is 2 years old?) and rebuilding the carb, got it started after many tries. It is running pretty rough, and hesitates when revved. One cylinder doesn't seem to be firing (one exhaust pipe is cold), but it does have spark. Seems to be getting fuel... as gasoline sputters out the tailpipe on that side. So... I've got some work to do.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Yamily

A friend of mine brought a Honda 250 Dream which the owner had said the engine was knackered, only firing on 1 cylinder and fuel vapour was spluttering out of the exhausts, He told me It turned out to be that a rag had got sucked into the air box and was blocking the air flow through one of the carbs,

Hope it is as simple as that to fix for you.

:welcome: to the YOC, the carbs need stripping down and ultrsonic cleaning or boiling in lemon/coke. there are lots of very small galleries in these carbs.

you will also need to check diaphram.

post in the classic section, where you will find an xs400 sticky

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online