XT 250 1981 - Non starter - Help!

Rob Bellamy
This post is 4614 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

I have bought a 1981 XT250 for $360 off ebay that is a non starter. I have no knowledge of the history of the bike but it doesn't look like it has started for a long time and it has been maintained using bodge methods. I have a clymer manual and enthusiasm.

Problems:

• Kick starter has no decompression cable.
  • Cam chain tensioner is missing.
  • The timing was completely off.
  • The electrics have been messed with. Indicators / brake light have been removed, only remaing light is the headlight. In general look butchered.
  • No battery.
  • Sticking clutch - my intuition says this might fix itself once the engine warms up and has been running for a little while.
  • The most worrying thing is that the engine has clearly been opened and messed with by some mope who has lost engine bolts for the head and covers and even a few threads have been stripped.

So far I have done:

• Cleaned and rebuilt the carb with new jets and gaskets
  • Checked compression - 150
  • Spark - big and blue
  • Checked all valve clearances - good
  • Removed rotor and stator to check timing - all good
  • Fresh fuel + Start ya bastard + Fuel to carb flows freely.

What happens:

Currently when kick starting the motor the kick start backfires and dominates my foot and leg. I have tried bump starting it with some success however it only runs for less than a few seconds before stalling and it does not respond to the throttle. This may also be due to a sticking clutch which doesn't let me disengage gear to stop it from stalling. The other worry I have is that the engine despite only running for a short period is not responding to the throttle in anyway.

Next Steps:

1. When I rebuilt the carb I found that a plastic washer was missing from the drawings I have from the Clymer manual. It is a white plastic ring that sits in the bottom of the float chamber. I am not sure how crucial this is to functioning of the carb.
  2. I am thinking that if I have a decompression cable on the kick start then I might be able to get it started in neutral with the kick start.
  3. Otherwise I am thinking there might be a wiring issue considering the butchering it has clearly taken. I read somewhere that incorrect wiring would enable it to start but not rev up which seems to fit with what is happening.

If anyone can tell me why everytime I try to upload a photo it comes up as a broken link let me know and I can provide images to each of my points.

If anyone has any feedback I would greatly appreciate it as I am unsure on how to move forward.

Cheers,

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online