SR 250 front brakes squeaking

mouldy031
This post is 4624 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I have a 2004 SR 250. Recently the front brakes have begun to squeak when I pull them faily sharply. When i pull them gradually this is not the case... Any idea as to why and how I can resolve this?

Thanks

Grant

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Assuming your bikes front brake is a disc and you can see that there is plenty of brake pad friction material left the brake pads are fitted correctly including any pad backing shims, and the brake calliper and or disc if they are floating type components are not jammed or seized, Make sure that your disc brake has not got a foreign object such as a stone or other debris jammed in the brake assembly or in the pad material and that there are no deep radial scores in the disc surface.

If all looks ok then you might find that the probable cause of your discs squealing will be moisture that is present in the pad material, this can often happen in the winter because of the damp conditions, I find that a nice long ride which involves some moderate use of the brakes will dry out the pads and the brakes will stop squealing,

When you wash the bike or when the disc is viisibly wet the squeal will often go as the water on the disc surface will lubricate the pads for a moment, normally the moment is a heart stopping one as the brakes will loose the stopping ability until the pads have warmed up and the water has been dispelled,

If you are in any doubt about the safety and operation of your brakes take the bike to a bike shop and ask if a mechanic can have a quick look to see if there is a problem, most bike shop mechanics will take a quick look for no charge because this type of assistance could lead to more work.

if the above don't cure it, smear a dap of copper grease on the BACK of the pads.

All disk brakes squeal, just that the high frequency they normally operate on, we can't hear it!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online