YX600 - XJ600 Engine swapped

madcap
This post is 4628 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I have just swapped the engine in my YX600 Radian (1984) for a 3KM marked XJ600 unit (1989) since the stator had gone, and It had a habit of jumping out of 2nd gear. The previous owner had also dropped it and broken the left side casing, and patched it up with epoxy.

The exchange has not been without its challenges:

Snapped exhaust studs on the replacement - so swapped the heads over, at least this then allowed the retention of the YX's smaller carbs.

Everything is bolted back up and re-connected but the wiring is different. Have studied circuit diagrams for hours. I'm now at the stage where 3KM engines 3 wire generator is matched to 5 wire YX loom achieved using the YX's original rotor bolted onto the empty 3KM rotor shaft.

However, 3KM pickup only uses 2 wires w/r and w/b but YX wiring needs 3 connections Gr, O and B. I've connected Gr to W/R and O to W/B but have nowhere to connect the YX's B to.

I get a spark on plugs 1 and 4, but nothing on 2 and 3.

Any suggestions?

Actual bike is known as Toadie's Radian and images can be found here http://badrad600.com...es%20Radian.htm, but bike now has a large screen (colour matched) that keeps the wind off above 55.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.