Removing Yamaha YBR 125 Ignition Switch?

Rimbaudian
This post is 4479 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, well basically I have managed to lose my only key to my bike, its a long and stupid story so I'll spare the details but yes, I do feel stupid. :) I've googled around for my options and phoned up the local Yamaha Dealership and a local mechanic. From my googling it was my understanding that an official dealership is able to cut new keys for a bike by looking up the Specs of the key using the VIN number, but when I called them they were very vague and instead quoted me 80 quid for a new lock set and 90 quid to come and install it. Naturally these prices are obscene and I googled the lock set instead which can be bought for 45 quid online and I phoned a local motorbike garage who offered to install it the lock set for 40 quid.

However the mechanic also suggested I could remove the the Ignition Switch and take it to a locksmith who could cut a new key from the shape of the lock. This option is ofcourse reliant on the cost of cutting a new key being cheaper than buying an entirely new lock set for 45 quid, I assume it is but its too late to phone around locksmiths to get quotes. So in the meantime I thought i'd ask the question posited in the thread title:

How would I go about removing the ignition switch on my Yamaha Ybr 125, 2008, fuel injection model?

Or even further how easy (and if easy, how do I) is it to install a new ignition switch myself? I assume it isn't and thinking about it, if it requires any unusual tools and the difference between having a key cut and simply buying a new lock set isn't very big then it might just be a better idea to buy a lock set and let the mechanic do it after all rather than this convoluted student penny pinching method I'm concocting in my head. :)

Well anyway this post got unnecessarily long, sorry, but I'd appreciate any help, thanks. :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Had a probably, stupid idea, but see I had the motorbike locked up for Winter while I went home for Holidays from Uni and when doing so I had a hard time locking on the side panel which covers the battery. So I just left the side panel unlocked making it removable without the key. However if memory serves me well the lock on the side panel isn't very deep and doesn't use the full length of the key's teeth to unlock. Well hopefully i'm misremembering as if the lock on the side panel is exactly the same as the ignition switch then I should be able to take the side panel down to a lock smith to get a new key made, rather than this expensive task of removing the ignition switch. So I'd be greatful if anyone on here with a YBR could test my idea and see how much of the key the side panel uses on their bike, please. But ah probably wishful thinking, I think tomorrow I'll phone around to see if any locksmiths do callouts for this sort of things, here's hoping.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online