Clutch arm problems

Dtlc3
This post is 4630 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evning all.

Right my first problem is I can't pull the clutch in the bike I got of my brother had been sat outside for a good few months I'd say 6-8

I thought he clutch cable was seized so bought a new one.

Then thought the clutch arm that the cable attaches to was seized.

This is wear it gets strange you can move the arm about 180 degrees then it will stop solid a a certain point going in either direction.

Anyone got any idias?.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry my description a bit rubbish, wen it gets the the point where it meets the restiance then it won't budge past that point it's like somethings seized, no matter how much force you put behind it it won't move ?

Dont know what bike this is, but if its old or been left ourside for a while, you will need to give all outside moving parts a clean with WD-40 or similar, and then oil/grease as neccesary.

If the oil/gear oil, isnt new, replace it with an ester based oil or right viscosity, as ester oils are excellent at dissolving gum/depotits that maybe clogging the insides.

The clutch arm should only move to a certain point anyway? I maybe wrong..

The engine needs to be fresh and running before you can set up the clutch to bite correctly.

It's a 1987 dt 125 lc3

The clutch arm is on the maganito side and the clutch basket is on the opposite side, so there must be a rod or something I between the 2 ?????

Well where it had been sat outside it had water in the clutch it was an oil and water mix the oil was dark black,also no oil in ATM incase I need to take the cover back off cheers

I striped down the clutch etch all ok,then took clutch arm out wher the cable goes shon a torch down the hole and the is another hole inside, should there be something poking out the hole?? Cheers

well you have the clutch operating arm which goes down into the case, around the shaft of the operating arm there is a groove, this groove is for a locating screw to keep the operator in position and stop it from rising up when the clutch is operated,

also the operating shaft had a flat side towards the bottom half, this flat presses agains the pushrod and therefore moves the rod and opens the clutch plates against the tension of the springs

this is how mine are and i guess yours will be similar....learn to post pictures!

Woooow, i don't see anyone being rude here!

Your descriptions have not been ideal, so posting photos will help us work out whats wrong.

I think you'll find Airhead is an excellent source of info and posts and replies on an unbelieveable number of topics.

So far he's replied in detail based on whats been asked.

I'd delete or revise your above reply carefully.

Ok many opligies, maybe I took offence at something I shouldn't have, my bad, and I agree my description haven't been exactly great but that's the only way I could describe it, will try and post some pics when I find out how, airhead, many oppligies, my bad.

730f45fa.jpg

The clutch arm when at this point and you try and move it forward it won't budge it's stuck solid.

1e6aa8ab.jpg

This is where the clutch arm goes into should there be a rod poking out of the hole ??

96f9d084.jpg

Few pics Iv taken if they work.

for starters the lever should be the other way round

you will see the end of the lever is shaped to a point, somewhere out of view in the picture there is a marker on the casting (under the carb ?) well the point on the lever should line up with this just at the point it begins to push on the clutch pushrod, this is achieved by adjusting the screw and locknut in the centre of the clutch, there are two pushrods with a steel ball in between them. It might be that the ball is missing and thats why you cant see the rod down the hole ...who knows? also there should be a spring under the arm to pull it back as the cable tension is relaxed