XV 125 Drive chain

Chalorr
This post is 4637 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys

Need to buy a new chain for my bike an '02 XV 125 Virago I think the size I need is a 520/114 but when I'm phoning around my local spares shops they all seem to think it's to big. Is it the right size, or have I been miss-informed?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

According to Wemoto, it is indeed 520/114.

If you can get the chain off, I'd coun the teeth on the sprockets. Just like the Dragstar 125, owners swap them to try to get more mph/mpg. If the sprockets have been changed, then the chain length may need to be shorter/longer as you might not have enough adjustment.

Standard sprockets are 16 teeth front, 38 teeth rear

Controversial question, you'll get a different answer from everyone, I've found that most people use semi-synth, because its a good cost to quality ratio, but even synthetic oils use mineral basestocks, the oil companies have fancy laws in place that let them call mineral oil synthetic when its got a certain ratio of addetives.

The only true labratory made oils are PAO's and Esters, they are better in everyway compared to minerals except when it comes to holding lead in suspension, which no one uses anymore.

I use motul 300v 10w-40, with a ZDDP as an additive for the rockers/tappets/gears. Its whatever you are willing to spend on your engine, better oils = more MPG, power, protection, but cost more.

People who use semi synthetics, tend to change it more often though.

Aslong as its a good quality motorcycle oil, not car oil, then its fine.

Manufacturers always reccomend an oil, and say never to use any other type, but its rubbish, people have been choosing their own parts/oils for ages in both cars and bikes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online