1300 midnight star Tow hitch

midnight61
This post is 4464 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, and happy new year to you all, ive been pondering pulling a trailer this summer with my 1300, and have researched all the implications, type approval, insurance, legal aspect etc and its a definite possibility i may pursue... it looks 'again' like i'll have to import the hitch from America...although im not a fan of the dreaded import duty, UK customs have already had enough out of me......do any of you know anywhere in the UK where i may be able to purchase a tow bar/ tow hitch for this bike......? in fact, is there a UK manufacturer ...?. Any advice would be gratefully received

Yours in anticipation

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Phil & Happy New Year to you too.

I'm also considering a trailer as the other half seemed to want to take her wardrobe with us when we went to Germany.

I have no idea if there is a hitch manufacturer in the UK - I did a very quick google search and didn't see any, but I wonder if these guys would make one for you? http://www.mono-trail.co.uk/ - they do say they can custom build hitches for any bike to fit their trailers. (I happen to like their trailers but they're not cheap...)

One other thought could be to plagerise a US companies hitch and ask a local welder to manufacture you one?? I had a local welder make my luggage rack on the 1300 for my trunk.

Let me know how you get on + good luck

Take it easy

Graham

Friend of mine welded one on to the frame of his BMW K1100. Used a standard hitch and trailer latch off an old caravan/towbar assembly.

Trailer was a one-wheeled frame, with that 4-way hinge thing they use on steering columns (forgot the name) so it goes up and down, left and right, but will not tip over on it's own.

Get 4 kegs of beer on that thing, easy!

cheers Ttaskmaster, i'm not inclined to be welding to my frame..a little too permanent for me. The link above shows some of there work (freewheeluk), i was hoping for something a little more discreet, i guess thats not possible. After much thought, it seems whichever towbar i choose (and there's not much choice) its not going to be as pleasing to the eye as i hoped...i'm resigned to the fact that i shall ONLY put it on when i am towing which is a pain in the ass, but it's only a bolt on / bolt off affair, and its hassle i'm prepared to go through so that, when i'm not towing it wont look as though the rear of my bike is supported by scaffold. As i am convinced riding around, not towing, with a tow bar on the back will be rather an ugly affair

Phil, if you get one made maybe it could be similar to this design? http://www.mchitch.c...V-Star_1300.htm -- it seems to be popular with the US riders

Extra storage... I could have done with the ability to take more stuff when I went to Germany the other year, you don't get much on the bike for 2 people for 2 weeks. I could have gone in the car but it's not as good as the bike + once you stop you can leave the trailer behind and go for a rides.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online