need new tyre for rear of t.cat

chip2222
This post is 7141 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i own i 98 t.cat and it currently has a bridgestone battlax bt57r 170/60/zr17.

now i want to replace this tyre as its quite worn but acording to info i have the size is wrong can anyone conferm what size i should replace it with and also as its an older type now being replaced by 010 and 020 its a good price at a dearler and they have it in stock as other places say its on back order, is the 170 a better bet than say a 160???????

ta

chip

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Putting a 170 on a cat disturbs the handling, it's just a bit too wide for the width of the rim. Go back to the 160/60 's it should make the handling more confident when leaning over.

When I had my cat I put 020 on the back on 010 on the front, worked well enough to get my knee down. :D

so is it a no no for the 170 or could it be down to own personal taste?

170/60 price is good thats why i was going to get it as my cat already has it on the back so it would be just a replacment.

does anyone else have a 170 on the back?

• Admin

You shouldnt use oversize tyres on a bike, as the tyre has to squash up to fit the rim, which increases the height and decreases the radius. And the tyre doesnt perform as it should and the bike wont roll on the tyre as it should so definatly stick to the standard size.

Never fitted a 170 but all the reports I've read say a big NO NO.

In the end you know what yours rides like at the moment with a 170 so it's your choice.

Remember different manufacturers tyre shape makes bike handle differently even though they may be identicle size.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online