XVS1300A model year identification

Bulldog2
This post is 4491 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm thinking about buying a used 2010 bike but need to know how to identify the model year easily as there seem to be quite a few 2009-2011 unregistered bikes out there. Any pointers you can give me would be useful e.g. which colours belong to each year or even better is there a year stamp anywhere (although this would be way to easy).

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Bulldog,

I'm not sure whether this will answer your question directly, but hope it helps...

The easiest way to tell a 'new' 2011 model is the headlight housing is chrome (the previous versions were colour matched to the bike), the frame is gloss black (previously matt black) and the handlebars have more pull back.

As for the other give aways, black is available every year so is no help. I've read elsewhere the colours go as follows:

2007 - Galaxy Blue and Candy (Bright) red

2008 - Black Cherry (dark red/maroon) possibly silver

2009 - Black, possibly white

2010 - black

I've put 'possibly' colours as I don't think Yamaha UK offered those here so they may be imports, however the info was here http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760711/Paint%20and%20Decals so I listed it.

The biggest guage to it would be price as a new one is listed for around £8,300 so the unregistered ones may be offered cheaper than this?

One last thing to look for is the clutch cable at the lever. If there's a big adjuster next to it then you're looking at a bike that was manufactured after 2008, the 2007 models have their adjuster (engine side clutch adjuster) behind the neck on the bike and there's a tendancy for the cable to fray there. Also the 2007 models have a clutch rattle issue that was addressed 2008 onwards...

Hope that helps + good luck

Graham

Many thanks Graham. I think the possibly is apt as the Yam site shows a blue also in 2010 but it's a start. I have also just found a post on the 1300 US site that says that there is a date tag below the VIN on the headstock. Someone confirmed that theirs said 12/06 which is correct so I'll be looking there also. thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bulldog

Read yr post with interest...i have indeed done just that last year.. Now the proud owner of a new XVS 1300 Midnight Star.

Now let me clarify a few things for you.. Being an ex car salesman..and bit around the block a bit..some 53 years now..hopefully we have all learned a few things ..we hope by now.

I have been fornuate with my last few bikes by actually making money on them..not bad..can be done if you buy wise.

My last bike was a 2001 R1.. only 3300 milkes on the clock when i bought it...sold it a year later and made £800..great for a years free riding.

Anyway... after a few calculations and alot of phoning around...hey i discovered i could buy a BRAND new Midnight Star at a BIG saving...however it was like joining a secret club as you have to search around for these.

To cut a long story short.. clarkgrey is dead right My 2009 model has a black headlight and not chrome . Thats about it !! The headlight i prefer as is... The dealers take these in..as they must have all models.. here was the spec on mine

It is BRAND NEW unregistered

Metalic Black....The ONLY colour to have one of these in IMO..

Zero Miles

Full 2 year Yam warranty and RaC breakdown cover.

I paid £6500 for mine registered June 2011

The Midnight Star hasnt been a big seller in the Uk. So some of the deakers that have then in stock are keen to sell them. I dont know why you are worried about the date is was built...it doesnt mean a thing truly..!!

Pete, that's a bargain price!! Congratulations on purchasing a fantastic bike!

I know Yammy lists them as £8,300 brand new, but a lot of dealers do have older unregistered models lying around that they need to shift so bargains can be found. Its also worth shopping around as many dealers in today's economy will try and undercut their nearest rival...

Have taken the passenger seat off...really luv the curvey lines with out it. Fitted small no. plate too. Doesnt need too much bling imo... but going to invest in some arlen ness mirrors and gotta sort the exhaust out...looks too big and naff and dont sound right despite drilling the baffles...oh have fitted the O2 sensor from Jacks...big difference..!!

Thinking of some curved cobras poss?? Or the V &H bigshots...why oh why are bike bits sooo dear?? What have you fitted?

Roll on Spring...

Hi Bulldog

Read yr post with interest...i have indeed done just that last year.. Now the proud owner of a new XVS 1300 Midnight Star.

Now let me clarify a few things for you.. Being an ex car salesman..and bit around the block a bit..some 53 years now..hopefully we have all learned a few things ..we hope by now.

I have been fornuate with my last few bikes by actually making money on them..not bad..can be done if you buy wise.

My last bike was a 2001 R1.. only 3300 milkes on the clock when i bought it...sold it a year later and made £800..great for a years free riding.

Anyway... after a few calculations and alot of phoning around...hey i discovered i could buy a BRAND new Midnight Star at a BIG saving...however it was like joining a secret club as you have to search around for these.

To cut a long story short.. clarkgrey is dead right My 2009 model has a black headlight and not chrome . Thats about it !! The headlight i prefer as is... The dealers take these in..as they must have all models.. here was the spec on mine

It is BRAND NEW unregistered

Metalic Black....The ONLY colour to have one of these in IMO..

Zero Miles

Full 2 year Yam warranty and RaC breakdown cover.

I paid £6500 for mine registered June 2011

The Midnight Star hasnt been a big seller in the Uk. So some of the deakers that have then in stock are keen to sell them. I dont know why you are worried about the date is was built...it doesnt mean a thing truly..!!

Fishy pete, may i be so bold as to ask which dealer supplied your bike at such a modest price...?, i have a friend who is very interested.....

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow up to my original post. There is no date stamp on the headstock in the UK so the only way of telling the date of manufacture is to ask your local yamaha man to look up the VIN number.

Like Fishy Pete I bought a new unregistered bike (2009 model) but mine cost me £100 more! Picture below and yes it does look great in black. Sissy bar/rack and screen extra of course.

Now I'm sussing out luggage. Any recommendations? - but not yamaha hard panniers.

IMG_1094.jpg

That bike looks nice.

You could always get a cobra slip-on (below)... Not sure about panniers - I like the Yammy hard ones but wouldn't pay UK prices.

If you're getting exhaust or panniers try www.sscustomcycle.com - Shane is great and very cheap too.

cobra.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online