Grease Monkey - London

Columbo
This post is 4653 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone able to show me the ropes of bike tinkering?

I got my first bike and am not happy with the fact that I don't know how to fix it if it goes wrong.

Please PM me if you have any work that you need to do on your bike. I'd love to watch and learn.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What an excellent post, shame you don't live near me, i'd happily strip my bike down to its last nut and bolt to reward you for your initiative and enthusiasm.

Your approach is exactly how I learnt about mechanics, I used to watch my friends and neighbours then helped out, although i was only 12 at the time, it led onto me stripping and rebuilding my first motorcycle engine by the time I was 15 (that was back in the 70's)

Today I pride myself on still being able to strip and repair practically anything!

Hopefully somebody in London area will help you out....you deserve it :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

+1 on what Neo said!..... hats off to ya bud as i also learned by watching my stepdad do his Harley (o and when i was a kid i did take the odd toy apart n attemp to put it together again but thats different lol)

I tell you what i think will help you out seeing that you have a nice shinney new bike (dont take her apart if you dont have to) i would recomend getting your self a mini / monkey bike and stip that apart as they are pretty much the same as a normal motorbike only smaller lol. this will give you the Billy bollock basics of motorbike machanics and also it wont matter if you fuck up on it ;)

At least this way you can learn how to line up the rear wheel correctly, the engines are basic but they still go SUCK BANG BLOW as do most bikes (and cages in that matter) plus they are cheap. and you can go out riding on your bike then come home n tinker on the mini / monkey bike ;)

Just my opinion im sure some one will pop along n say some thing different or even meet up n show you on there bike?

Thats a definate +1 on what "Noise" said there me thinks.

You can watch vids,,,,watch others,,,,,look at manuals,,,,read the web. These are good ways to learn how to do things

BUT

There is no better way of learning than actually getting down and dirty with something yourself. People can tell you/show you how to do something but untill you actually do it yourself it doesnt lodge into your brain. Trial and error untill you get it right is best way of learning.

Mabey my "Mini Bike" thread will get you inspired, eh !!

Thats a definate +1 on what "Noise" said there me thinks.

You can watch vids,,,,watch others,,,,,look at manuals,,,,read the web. These are good ways to learn how to do things

BUT

There is no better way of learning than actually getting down and dirty with something yourself. People can tell you/show you how to do something but untill you actually do it yourself it doesnt lodge into your brain. Trial and error untill you get it right is best way of learning.

Mabey my "Mini Bike" thread will get you inspired, eh !!

thought you'd gone to bed Pat, missus rejected ya? :eusa_whistle:

yeah thats the way columbo watch and learn, maybe youtube will be useful, ?

watch out for any nightschools in your area...ask at bikeshops if they know of anything. like the others have said its a shame were 300 miles apart!

'One more thing'

I just googled 'youtube adjust motorcycle' and got many offerings...dont ya just love the web ;)

thought you'd gone to bed Pat, missus rejected ya? :eusa_whistle:

Lol,,,,, wouldnt be the first time !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online