thunderace engine change

yida080
This post is 4124 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, i have a thunderace on a 1996 but uses a lot of oil! im thinking of changing the engine for a later one. do these burn oil and up to what year would the engine fit with out mods? Any help would go along way!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi, i have a thunderace on a 1996 but uses a lot of oil! im thinking of changing the engine for a later one. do these burn oil and up to what year would the engine fit with out mods? Any help would go along way!!

Unless you find a low-miles engine it will burn oil. The consensus amonst EXUP-enthusiasts is that the valve seals wear/harden and oil gets down and is burnt off in the cylinders (sometimes if a biker-mate is following, they will report a blue smoke on the over-run).

It's a dificult call, unless you can find a cherished engine (won't be cheap), you can either just get used to a total-loss lubrication system (not ideal) or do all 20 valve seals (with a risk the problem might be something else, like rings and remain).

My fzr1000w was doing the same on the track (same engine with different oil filter basically).Turned out to be cracked sleave.If you have the money fit 1040 kit and do bearings clean up head and do valves if needed.Money spent will give you 20 extra hp rather than gamble on a second hand engine.

This is mine smoking on cracked sleave prior to rebuild.200ml oil per race approx lost.Crack was 1/2 length of barrel.

• 1 year later...

My -96 ace has 80000km on the clock and it uses a bit of oil when driving fast. I was wondering if it would be possible to change a R1 engine. Are the engine mounts same etc.....

sorry about my english...I'm Finnish... :D

My -96 ace has 80000km on the clock and it uses a bit of oil when driving fast. I was wondering if it would be possible to change a R1 engine. Are the engine mounts same etc.....

sorry about my english...I'm Finnish... :D

no all models of R1 engines have very different mounts. As the engine is a stressed member it is a no go, even with bespoke brackets.

There is an echo in Helsinki" :babyha: , put up with the oil burning, Us 2 strokes have for years , and it smells nice,/

Welcome expire,,, :jossun:

Ha. Got rid of the echo....echo.......e..

Why not say hello properly in a new thread.

no all models of R1 engines have very different mounts. As the engine is a stressed member it is a no go, even with bespoke brackets.

Noooooo, you ruined my wet dream :D Maybe I'll just have to change the whole bike then. Some day..... :D Or just rebuild the old Tace egine with a wiseco kit and valve seals etc... If the oil consuption gets on my nerves or the guy driving behind me. Maybe then I will do something about it.... we'll see.....

Again start a new thread. Oh and dont give up. You can fit a r1 to a tace with work. The stressed member bit is academic that way.

Its only if you tried to fit the ace motor to an r1.....ha.

Not saying its an easy swap though. The 7/11 days are long gone.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online