A Pro racing in the Novice class?

YamaHead
This post is 7154 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Attack MX will DQ winner and give grand prize to runner-up

By Davey Coombs

Racer X broke the story yesterday that David Snow, the winner of the $40,000 Ford F-350 pickup truck in the first-ever Attack MX race in Arizona, was actually Alex Snow, a pro-caliber rider from Great Britain who entered the 125cc Novice class for this high-profile race. A positive ID was made of Alex Snow by several readers in England when a photo of the Attack MX winner by Bobby Myers was posted on our website.

Now, after following up with the information and speaking with several parties—including the Snow family back in England and their hosts, the Chatfields in Texas—Attack MX has asked that the truck be returned immediately so that it can be awarded to the rightful winner, event runner-up Nick Bussy of California. Short reiterated his company’s pledge to be diligent in checking the backgrounds and qualifications of all competitors at future Attack MX races. Attack MX also hopes the truck is returned in brand-new condition in time to present to Bussy at their next race, which is set for February 25-27 at Verde Valley MotoPlex in Arizona. (For more information on that event, visit www.attackmx.com.)

“Attack MX had bought a trailer to haul the truck from the dealership to the event so that it would be brand-new, and they want it just like that when we get it back to give to Nick Bussy,” said Short.

As for Snow, his father, David, expressed deep regret over the whole situation when contacted at home in England. “I think it’s a bit of naiveté on Alex’s part, and maybe as well as the others with him, but boys will be boys, and we’re just really sad that it all happened like this,” said Mr. Snow. “He’s a good boy, and he just wants to win. He wanted to ride in America, and he had a deal to ride this one race. I’m not sure he knew what he had gotten into, and we just want to set the record straight.”

Mr. Snow also explained that the U.S. definition of what makes a rider a “pro” is much different than what it is there. “We buy his bikes and he gets no wages, and when he races for a little bit of prize money, that’s really all he gets,” explained Mr. Snow. But he also explained that Alex Snow is not a novice by any definition. “We really learned a lesson, and we want to come back and do some more riding, maybe in the fall. Only this time, we will make sure we have all of our facts correct before we even leave the UK.

“We hadn’t done our homework, and we couldn’t believe it when Alex texted us Sunday night at one in the morning and said, ‘Dad, I won a pickup.’ We couldn’t believe it.” Mr. Snow stressed that Alex never meant to keep the truck, that he was to give it to the people who got him over to the U.S. in the first place. Now he fully expects the truck to be handed to the rightful owner as soon as possible. “I wouldn’t want Alex to have something that he did not deserve,” he said. “We’re a little bit sad about it all, and the lad who finished second deserves this prize.”

As for why Alex rode under the name David Snow, the father explained that his son has a deal to race Suzukis in England this season and that he did not want his sponsor to know he was riding a different brand. Ironically, he later found out that it was not a problem to ride a different brand outside the UK.

@ least he wasn't a prick about giving up the truck. ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

I seem to remember a few years ago a pro boxer doing the same thing. Must have been funny to watch a Pro boxer trying to look like he cant fight :lol: