78 dt-e???

rgabbert
This post is 4628 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK, folks, newbie here. On the site, not to bikes. I recently acquired the pictured(if I can get it posted) 78 dt-e, at least that's what the title shows. However, I don't think it's a 175, as IIRC the 175 dt's had the exhaust routed on the

right side of the bike and this has it on the left. As you can see, it's had some strange owners who had uniqe ideas of paint, etc. WIP, believe me. Anyway, anyone got an idea of what engine I have? It's been snowing and I

haven't been out to check the cylinder cc's, does have a six-speed box like a dt.

Hmm, can't find any instructions on posting a pic, some help there would be nice.

Ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

No picture yet, But there was a model of DT in the UK, called a DT125 E, the bike looked a lot like the 125/175 twin shock but it had an electric start combined with the magneto, the magneto cover was larger because of this, also the exhaust ran down the right hand side of the bike. it also retained a kick start. could this be what you have?

For pictures see ths FAQ.

I'l get the link for ya,,,,,,,,,,,

Welcome to the YOC

OK, I'll start right out and claim a senior moment, folks. the snow has melted enough to take a pic and I did, and in the process found I've been wrong about the exhaust, it's correct, Hopefully 69 is old enough for a senior moment.

Now that I've got that over with, let's move on and let me hide behind another question.

I find from the web that the two colors usually found on 78 dt's are sunset red and bahama blue, I'd like to go with the bahama blue if I can find it in Krylon or Dupli-color. I'd like the bike looking good, but on a retired and fixed income level, can anyone help?

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff383/rgabbert/

And I hope this is a good link, first time doing this.

OK, I'll start right out and claim a senior moment, folks. the snow has melted enough to take a pic and I did, and in the process found I've been wrong about the exhaust, it's correct, Hopefully 69 is old enough for a senior moment.

Now that I've got that over with, let's move on and let me hide behind another question.

I find from the web that the two colors usually found on 78 dt's are sunset red and bahama blue, I'd like to go with the bahama blue if I can find it in Krylon or Dupli-color. I'd like the bike looking good, but on a retired and fixed income level, can anyone help?

http://s1233.photobu...ff383/rgabbert/

And I hope this is a good link, first time doing this.

CIMG0369.jpg

You done the link correctly,,,,, you just have to hover over the pic in photobucket then go down to the bottom where it says IMG,,,click on this,,,,then go to your post and right click an past into your post. Give it another try there an see how ya get on !

yeah what Pat says, copy the IMG code and paste it into your forum post, that way we will see it directly.

Heck it looks cold in your neck of the woods...must be on its way here soon!

its a shame you havent got anything in original blue colour you could have had some mixed from a colour chart at your local motor factors shop

It is a DT175E by the way if its a 78

You can download a parts book from the workshop sticky topic 'Parts Manuals for Yamaha Bikes'

• 1 month later...

Looks like mine ( ) tubular swing-arm, mon-shock, 1978 DT175MX, only has later '79 on sculpted side panels.

MX suffix was to denote the 'mono-cross' rear suspension; US may have retained earlier suffix; or could be just admin in the licence office.

78 & 79 models differ from later mono-shock 175's; most obviousely they have a tubular swing arm, rather than the later box section one.

The air-box and oil reservoir are also different; and on opposite sides to later bikes. Battery-Box/Air-Box was moved from the right hand side on the 78/79 models to the Left side, oil reservoir the opposite way.

Early 78 models had 'flat' side panels, without the sculpting yours has.

100_0428.jpg

Behind LH Side-Panel - space where I dont actually HAVE an oil reservior!

imag2172.jpg

During tear-down; air-box on RHSide

imak2298.jpg

Freshly painted the 'flat' side-panels

imag2380.jpg

Starting to come together again!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online