Unleaded or unleaded

SRXy
This post is 6982 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

oops...Topic should be leaded or unleaded

I live in South Africa and we are facing new laws which prohibit the sale of leaded petrol. I'm wondering what effect this will have on my bike. I'm recently purchased a SRX400, and can't seem to find out if it uses leaded or unleaded petrol.....

What would happen if I used unleaded petrol in a bike that used leaded petrol and vice versa?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Im not sure what your bike is supposed to run on, it may be able to use both anyway.

Basically your bike will still run on unleaded but will wear out the valves, and may burn your rings as the engine gets hotter.

I wouldnt worry about it though, as the garages will all sell fuel additives which you will be able to add to regular Unleaded fuel which has a lead alternative in it

the Japanese were gearing up for unleaded as far back as 73

so most bikes from that point can run the fuel

there are a few exceptions but theses are mainly sports bikes RC30, CB1100R

and that speed demon the DT50MX!!!!

if you have any doubts i have all the records and spec on file

Thanks a lot everybody......My bike's a '92 model so it seems as if it wil be ok. I'll post some pics as soon as it's back from it's service. Had to give the carb a good clean out, put in a fuel filter, put new tires on and new fork seals. The bike seems to have been standing for a while......I think the previous owner went onto something more substantial. Anyway..I keep in touch.

Could be an issue with the Octane Rating though

Leaded Fuel was 98 Octane Rating

Unleaded is 95 Octane Rating.

I know you can buy Super Unleaded but that was actually more harmfull than leaded fuel because of the Benzine that was added, that may have been changed now though.

The thing is the Petrol Companies and SA Government will know of the issue's and a replacement will be available in one form or another.

I would hope so!!!!

I'm not betting on it though. The real problem is that most of the cars is SA use leaded petrol, particularly the taxi's which serve as transport for ~60% of the population who can't afford a car or a bike. So I guess this will force them to find a solution.