SR125 cold starting

DaveK671
This post is 4695 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

My youngest bro has bought himself a 1999 SR125 to run around on whilst at uni. When its warm it runs perfectly, no surging, no stalling, idles forever, hits 60-65mph etc.

It can be an absolute mare to start in the morning though. I changed the battery, spark plug, oil change and checked the valve clearances. It seemed to help a little but is struggling to start again without a jump or bump. I should mention that it starts pretty quickly with a jump from a car battery (with car engine off).

Hopefully he isnt just doing it wrong, I've explained the choke and that it needs to warm up etc to him, but it is his first bike.

He is going to leave it with me for a week so i can sort it out, and my priority list is as follows:

1. Replace air filter and strip and clean carb.

2. Carb rubber between carb and head looks split so need to try source another one (anyone any ideas where to find one? May have to go to a scrap yard and find any pipe that is similar size)

3. Starter motor issue, could be weak turnover but never had to check this kind of thing before so will be new to me. Brushes etc?

After this im not sure what could be causing it as it runs brilliantly when warm.

Cheers folks,

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Old CX's have this issue with perished inlet rubbers and I've heard one can use a tight fitting length of old innertube as a virtually invisible repair. Me? No, that's bodging and I don't do that sort of thing, honest guv..... :eusa_whistle:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online