xj600 air intake

bike-nut67
This post is 4450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the pipe coming out of the crankcase into the airbox is a breather, dont block it off, leave it pointing downwards somewhere out of the way (tuck it between the frame, for example).

the airbox is a pain to get to, and im not 100% sure but i think its also part of the battery box,

Hi, On my XJ the air box is a bloody great thing that gets in the way of everything when you try to work on the carbs, you can get it out but it is a right bastard to do, if you remove the carbs AND the carb mounting tube things (can't remember the name of them) you can draw the air box forward from it's place inside the frame but that's it you cannot get it to turn so you can remove it, I would suggest that you get a hack saw (no joke) and saw off the end where the air filter goes, other wise you can take the HEAD'S OFF to remove the thing but that is a bit extreme just to fit K&Ns to your bike, the ONLY way I have found to get it out is to take the engine out and that's just bloody ridiculous, as foamy say's tuck the breather pipe out of the way and it should cause you no problems but DON'T kink it, the battery box/tray thing is not part of the air box so you should be able to ignore that. It really is a stupid way to design something it looks like a bit of an afterthought :jossun:

• 2 months later...

Mate, ain't you gonna have major issues keeping you carbs balanced? Why not just put in a big K&N replacement filter to the airbox? really not much difference and you'll probably not have to concern yourself with rejeting your carbs either.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online