Twinshock TY 175 Clutch plate thickness...

Seana23
This post is 4697 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Oh wise ones ov the West,

i wonder if anyone could tell me the thickness ov new clutch plates for a TY 175 (Twinshock). im helping a friend who has jus bought it, to get it on the Road/Fleld again and the clutch "felt" (as its not running yet) very "loose" so took the plates out and they look pretty thin (3.3mm) and smell very burnt. Would new plates help or is it maybe the springs? or even the Clutch pushrod bearing (if this model has such a thing, (my old 250 did.))

Thanx all

Seana

XXX

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depending on year the service thickness of the plates could be either 4.0mm if its early, or 2.7 if its a later gearbox.

thanx babes. it must be an old one then as the thickness is 3.3mm from the back ov the plate to the top ov the friction pad. So it only worn 0.7mm... i think the backing to the friction pad must be around 2.8mm so you dont get much pad on the plates then do you?

so maybe the springs got compressed a bit or the bearing on the clutch pushrod... any other possibilities???

XXX

The actual minimum thickness specification on those plates is 3.6mm so the total range from new to buggerd is .4 of a millimeter.

The springs , free length is 31.5mm and minimum free length should be 30.5mm

Also if the plates look blued at all, esp the plain metal plates they will need replacing too as they only need to be out of true by a tiny amount to cause clutch problems. I'm not sure of the warpage on these older gearboxes but the later gearbox its 0.05 of a millimeter.

So if you have the slightes cause to think they have overheated, change them. If its any comfort these clutches normally stick and require rocking to loosen them up if stood for a week or more. While its out its an easy fix.

These are the people that REALLY know these bikes, i have used them myself several times. http://www.tytrials.co.uk/

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online