Can anyone one shed some light please?

Bam1979
This post is 4651 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks im wondering if anyone can help me? I have just bought a xv125 Virago on a W/2000 plate. Just mot'd it and it started running rough then fine again. Then he next day it wouldnt start. Finally got it started and it wont rev properly or go above 25mph. Carb now taken off and cleaned thoroughly and its starting now on the button but still wont go above 25 mph. Im stumped any ideas folks???????????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you checked the fuel tap, try it on reserve, or take the fuel pipe off the carb, let it flow into a bottle or jar and watch for a steady strong flow,do this on reserve as well, if all is well, then you know its not that, if it does make a difference, and you have restricted flow, then remove the tank and thoroughly clean it and the tap. and you will need to clean the carb again. oldgitonabike is probably right, but, the only way dirt gets into the jets, is from the tank, so check the basics first. just a thought, has your bike got a restricter of some kind in it, to make it legal for moped riders, im not to up on the new power restrictions for 125s, so I might be talking do-do.

All the bits in the carb were taken apart and sorted right out as for the tap its running freely. My mate suggested a sensor on the carb cos when you take the lead off it makes no difference at all. The bikes done under 5k and always been kept inside til i got it Saturday. Could it need a new carb alreday???

Bam i'm not saying you need a new sensor,... no way a new carb i'm just guessing (and thats all it is) about this sensor on your carb...I may be wrong I have no experience of them.

I suggest that if you can...get a manual and see if you can do any checks on it?

New carb? Unlikely

Throttle position sensor. Hmmmmmm, cant be certain, and I could be wrong but, unlikely

Restricted? Doubt it, only 11 bhp

Try the easiest and cheapest possibilities first

Spark plugs and leads/air filter/are both cylinders firing/if theres a rubber sleeve onto the carb does it have splits or cracks in it/stiff throttle cable/timing

Plugs, leads, and filters all checked and are practically brand new. Slight perishing crack in inlet rubber but its only surface so is not sucking air. Throttle cable is ok. So ill check both cylinders and timing today thanks people I really appreciate all your help. I might even get some pics uploaded if I finish work early enough today.

The guy i bought the bike of who is also a mate had a look at it yesterday and said the plug on the back cylinder is dodgy so ive ordered a pair cos no one holds them in stock round here. But would a dodgy spark really cause this mush grief?

if a plug is dodgy it is likely to go down completely, yeah that would do it as far as 25mm top speed goes but it would also 'not sound right' or feel right for that matter!

Its an easy one to test , when the bike is running dab the exhaust header with a damp rag, the running cylinder will have a hot exhaust and you will hear the hiss of the damp rag touching it, obviously a cylinder not firing will have a cool exhaust so this wont hiss. Its a good method of diagnosing cylinders that are not firing on multi-cylinder bikes. dont be dabbing any heat shields if they are fitted, you need to get to the pipe as it exits the cylinder if poss

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online