Dragstar/Vstar 650 oil in airbox

wfitzgerald
This post is 4319 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Model:

2003 V-star 650cc. In Ireland we call them Dragstars. The one I have was originally imported from the USA.

Mileage:

Approx 5000 miles (the bike is new to me and I have to presume the mileage is genuine. But I notice both tyres are tubless and not the same make. For example, front tire is Continental. I would have presumed original tyres would still be on bike and they would be tubled.)

Problem:

Oil is being blown up from crankcase breather pipe (I believe thats what it is called) into the airbox.

I noticed it as it weaps/leaks out the side of the airbox (part that sits on top of carbs) and more or less drips off the end of the idler adjuster under the tank near the tank on/off/reserver tap.

Many thanks in advance,

Will.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are you positive there not to much oil? Otherwise it sounds like you are getting crankcase compression which generally means worn rings, have you or a mate got a compression tester this should give you an idea. I don't know the values but test one barrel against the other and see how close they are.

There doesent look to be that much in there TBH, as preload said check your levels first as it is the easiest thing in the world to get the oil level wrong.

But.

Don't forget these engines have positive crank ventilation, they would be blowing seals left right and centre without it. The vapour is drawn into the engine to be burnt and not allow nasty gasses out to upset the trees. The downside of multi cylinder engines is that the vapour has to enter equally to every cylinder. That makes tapping the inlet rubbers out of the question. The next convenient soloution is to have the oil vapour vent on the engine side of the airbox. The oil won't contaminate the filter as its already past that point and the vapour will burn cleanly leaving only heavier drops inside the airbox where they will be cleared out during a service.

If you wanted my view, i would say the bike needs a good long run at a decent speed to get the engine nice and hot and the oil all runny so she settles( better than any flushing gunk). Then replace the seal on the bottom of the airbox. My old suzuki airbox looked similar to that inside from the first service.

As to the crank issue, drags vibrate period, and a worn crank on a 5000mile vtwin :crazy: . That mechanic should try politics.

Hi Preload, Cynic,

I will drain some oil out tomorrow and make sure its just below the full level. This should gaurantee its not overful if bike is not totally level.

I'll clean and dry the inside of airbox and surrounding area and take her for a spin to see if oil drips again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hi all. my 650 dragstar has started smoking from the exhaust on the rear cylinder, pops and crackles on slow down recently changed the oil its not overfilled could it be carbs needing synced or maybe valve/oilseal trouble ? cheers.

hi all. my 650 dragstar has started smoking from the exhaust on the rear cylinder, pops and crackles on slow down recently changed the oil its not overfilled could it be carbs needing synced or maybe valve/oilseal trouble ? cheers.

It could be, yes...

• 1 month later...

Hi Preload, Cynic,

I will drain some oil out tomorrow and make sure its just below the full level. This should gaurantee its not overful if bike is not totally level.

I'll clean and dry the inside of airbox and surrounding area and take her for a spin to see if oil drips again.

Any news?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online