XV125 Starter Motor Problem

Kelum
This post is 4602 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Guys after long time..:D:1poke:

My bike's starter motor making a very rusty CRAAAASH noise when I hit the start button every time..sometimes the motor or the wheels in its gear set seems to be like very rusty and motor appears to struggle to rotate them...could be the wheel set or the brushes of the motor..

I am thinking of disassembling the motor and its wheel set attaching the flywheel/ engine. Has any of you ever done this? Is it tough to do by myself?

Please someone give me necessary guidelines..I think I should brush off the oxides on copper/metal surfaces in motor..

Ur help greatly appreciated :hyper:

Am reading this but I would like yo to share what know on xv125 starters

http://www.vsocxv.co.uk/workshop/virago/starter.html

Thank you! :spin2:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ul need to take the left hand engine casing off, drain the oil over night,remove sprocket and gear lever then just undo all the bolts (there are a few) and put them down in order they came out (there all diferant sizes) then undo the starter motor bolts and cable, disconnect the cable comming from the engine to the main loom.

you might need to get a new gasket but if your carefull and can get hold of some gasket in a tube (like glue but made for gaskets) then you might get away with it.

gently prize the case open it will go so far then feel like its stuck, as long as your sure there are no more bolts holding it together then dont worry its just the force of the magnets in the fly wheel.

once open you will see the starter gear to the top left (if it hasnt fallen out) and the flywheel in the middle.

now its time to tap the starter motor out from the inside (its a tight fit!) but make sure you take the bolts out.

to put back together put the starter motor in 1st then the gear then put the liquid gasket on the engine casing and fit, be carefull of where the cable comes out of the casing from the stator.

put all the bolts in and oil, connect everything up then start it and let it run for 10 min, look for any oil leeks! if you get a leek then you will need to take everything appart and put some more liquid gasket in that area.

it would take about a day to strip it and a day to put back together then how ever long it takes you to dismantle the starter motor and fiddle.

Thanks mate..will have a look once oils and everything ready..I think its wheels but could be brushes too..i have this US product called ABRO grey 999 gasket maker..mm anyway it can withstand upto 343 Celsius only..is it ok? sensor safe and non-corrosive it says..have u come across it, is it good? :shakeno:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online