Front Shocks Leaking

bikernewby
This post is 4731 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there guys,

Ont of the front shockesr on my YBR125 has started leaking. Been looking for new ones but all i can find are seals. Is it just a case of topping up the oil and replacing the seals? If so which oil should be used. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there guys,

Ont of the front shockesr on my YBR125 has started leaking. Been looking for new ones but all i can find are seals. Is it just a case of topping up the oil and replacing the seals? If so which oil should be used. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Check for dents in the chrome stantions, if there is any these will need fixing first as they need to be smooth any new seals fitted with out repairing these first will fail again.

If your stancions (the chrome bits) are rusted or pitted then you need to address that first, I have the same problem with my XJ at the moment, if it's just the seals then it will mean removing the forks and a complete strip down to get the new seals in, you have to be careful taking the forks apart as the spring have a habit of trying to take your eye out if you look down the hole as you release the pressure. Usually a spring /C washer at the top which you have to release first before getting at the spring, look in your Haynes if in doubt some times they get it right and just follow what it says in the instructions, quite straight forward really but you have to do it in the right order, getting the new seals in can be a bit of a trial as they tend to try to warp out of shape as you try to insert them, most workshops have a special tool for seal fitting so go see your local friendly! mechanic and ask if you can beg or borrow one off of him/her, you can use a bit of plastic tubing cut down to size but that gets really fiddly if you don't have a mate to hold things in place while you push it into place, and remember OIL EVERYTHING before you put the seals in as it makes it slip home a treat otherwise it just grabs every where and you will need a new set and start over again. Hope that helps? :jossun:

Thanks for the help guys will be buying seals and oil then getting. a friendly local garage to it them I think, seems to be the easiest way!!! not sure I have the confidence to do it myself!!!

On the smaller bikes there are generally fairly strait forward but when you take them to the shop ask him to check for damage because if you don't they wont.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online