Which Air filter??

Twisted2004
This post is 5740 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My air filter is in a really bad state i think its about 15 years old, hence i need a new one.

I'm thinking i could get a standard filter element or a K&N type filter to go straight onto the carb.

Will i have to rejet if i get a K&N type filter?

Also my airbox is cracked, i've manage to seal it back together but it could still be leaking.

So the question is Which Air filter?? Standard or K&N type??

(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

uo to you, if you go with a k and n you will need to rejet, i used a k and n on my 50cc bike it adds alot to the sound, makes it sound much nicer. but ive heard of people drilling there airboxes for more speed :o so if you want to keep it standard just get a new orginal filter, if you want to start modding get a k and n

• Admin

Is your bike unrestricted i cant remember, because if its not there is no point adding a K&N

I'm assuming my bike is restricted, it bottoms out at 7000rpm at about 60-65mph.

Would derestricting be the same on my LC as on an R??

ie

-Exhaust restrictor removal from manifold

-Rejetting

-Race needle/reed

-dep exhaust

-air filter

No sure i can be asked to spend money on the bike to gain another couple of mph. I'll do my licence and just get a bigger bike, one thats meant to go fast!

Might do the exhaust ring removal (cus its free), what will that do to performance on me old LC??

(can't believe i'm thinking derestriction already, after getting an MOT on SAT and falling off on TUES!!, must have the biking bug)

It'lk give some poor twitchy parent second thoughts though when you sell it.

Keeping it standard is cheap and you've less headaches as well.

I think, like you say, give it a while first and if you still like it in summer then start to tinker with it. There's more hours of daylight as well for repairs.!

• 2 years later...

Yup...anytime you increase the airflow by using anything but the stock set-up......you should Re-Jet. ;)

i added a K and N replacment filter straight on to the carb of my old 50cc and no need to rejet it, although it did little for performance just sound which stopped it sounding like a ped. lol

• 11 months later...

you could try using a ram air filter and a spacer tube, also a bigger carb,open out the reed stops, port and flow reed block,

port the barrel, line up transfer entrances to crank case mouth, set the squish to just under 1.0 mm, flat and polish piston crown/combustion chamber/ exhaust port, use a couple of base gaskets, racing spark plug and plug cap, ledar air corrector kit

I recently put a K&N air filter on my 2007 FZ6. I have yet to get a new jet kit. I had a 2006 Suzuki Bulevard M50. I bolted on Cobra straight drag pipes. no jet kit needed there either. i had no problems. No back fires or anything.

Mason

'07 FZ6