MT-03 cutting out and stuttering.

isaacog
This post is 4657 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just bought myself a Yamaha MT-03. I love it except it has a few intermittent problems.

1. It cuts out at some point during most journeys, usually when I am accelerating after slowing to under 15mph or when I am pulling away from a standstill. It is not just a case of me stalling the bike.

2. When riding, if I open the throttle fully nothing will happen or the engine will stutter, then it feels like I have suddenly been rear-ended. Again, this a few times happens on most journeys.

3. When riding with the throttle in the same position the bike keeps accelerating and decelerating by a couple of mph and will sometimes suddenly decelerate

The bike is a 58 plate

It has done around 5000 miles.

it has been restricted using a throttle stop to 33bhp

it was in the dealership for around 4 months not being ridden

The dealer I bought it from has told me that he had ridden it and it was fine and that it was probably because I was being too aggressive with my throttle adjustments. I am not convinced by this as I rode home today as smoothly as I could with little improvement.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how I can rectify it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Isaac,

You need to be persistent with this - you have just bought it, it is not functioning correctly, it is not for you to rectify it is for the dealer.

The problem you are experiencing is dangerous, tell the dealer this explicitly and tell them that you will be leaving the bike with them as you do not feel safe riding it (maybe take a pen/paper with you and if they are lacking in interest, put your complaint into writing and give it to the manager). Talk to consumer direct/ trading standards.

Presumably you have paid a decent chunk of money for this bike, the dealer should be trying to sort this out quickly. Anything less is not really acceptable (push for a courtesy bike if poss, why should you be inconvenienced for something out of your control?).

btw, only a guess but if the bike was standing the battery is probably shot, which links to the symptoms you are experiencing.

GL

Also please introduce yourself in the noobs area, asap.