Yamaha aerox airlock?

DD40 Dan
This post is 4554 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all and thankyou for reading...

ive just bought a 50cc 2003 aerox that has been of the road since 2004. filled the header tank up which took barley anything, i thought as i was filling it the coolant would go through the pipes but it never just filled the tank. road it today and the temp light came on, all pipes are hot but water in the tank isnt hot at all. could the pump be nackerd or just an airlock? and is there a bleed valve on the head?

PLEASE HELP!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok just took it on another run and water in the tank is hot so I know the pump is working and this time the light didn't come on. Could it of just been a stuck thermostat that has now unstuck itself after a run? And if the pump is working so the engine is getting water to cool it can it still overheat? Like if the warning light comes on but I know the pump is working should I worry or just put it down to a faulty light?

i dont think water in the tank should be all that hot, hard to say but its only an expansion tank!! beware if it gets hot as you say, blown head gasket can do that

trust in the light, it either works or doesnt, if it says hot it is hot and theres a reason for it

Sounds like the stat was stuck closed as suggested and it's freed itself. Has the rad got a "Rad cap" on it if not has the expansion cap got a pressure rating on it ? Is so then the system will be pressurised by the cap on the expansion bottle. Just keep an eye on the level in the bottle as it shouldn't really alter as it is a "sealed system". Check it with the engine cold and make sure the level is between upper and lower levels.

Thanks all will do as suggested. One more thing :).... now that the water has circled the engine a few times it is really black and shitty, guessing because it's been sat to long so thinking of taking off bottom hose to flush it out then refill it. Or am u running the risk of giving it a air lock? Also I'm taking it for granted that the oil pump is working, it smokes a bit when she starts and seem to be running fine so safe to say it's working?

yeah keep filling, running, draining etc and eventually the water should be clean, only then drain a last time and fill with de-ionised (distilled) water and anti-freeze solution...winters coming ;). In the shrt term keep an eye on the level in the radiator when its cold untill you have some confidence in it.

Tip, when filling a drained system keep squeezing (pumping) any exposed rubber hoses to expel air and reduce the chances of airlocks

you can test the pump if youre not sure, pull the pipe from the carb or manifold, block off the spigot with something (not bluetac etc) maybe a pice of tape. start the bike and allow it to idle, turn the pump puuey by hand to max a see if the oil pulses out of the pipe, is the oil clean?

how about the 'Intro' Dan?

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online