SR125 - how hard to change clutch plates?

RubySR
This post is 4741 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Been riding my SR for a week now and I've noticed that sometimes I'll be in 4th or 5th and I'll lose and the engine will rev like I've pulled the clutch in. I've read around that either my clutch cable needs adjusting / lubricating / replacing or I've got clutch slip and need to replace the friction plates.

How hard of a job is this? I've been servicing my cars for 5 years but this is my first bike, I've RTFM'ed and it seems simple enough, any thoughts, hints, tips welcome!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

youll need new oil, a new cover gasket and the plates, try wemoto. you shouldnt have any trouble if you have some know how, Take care with the plain plates they sometimes need to put in...in a certain order around the basket to achieve balance...or vibration will occur,

try wemoto for your parts

of course you need a little slack in your cable before you delve this deeply

I've never had worn plates yet, my money will be on a new cable. it sticks and holds the clutch open.

try adjustment first (its cheaper) with the correct gaps. on my xs its the engine side first, screw in the adjuster till it touches the rod, and back off 1/4 turn.

2 - 5mm clearance at the lever.

That will do for starters

If it is to be new plates, I think you have to soak the new ones in oil overnight.

Cheers guys, I've checked the cable and it seems fine and well lubricated, though I'm going to replace it as I can't adjust it anymore at the lever. The actuator meets the mark on the engine so I think the adjustment there is OK. Ordered new cable, friction plates, steel plates, clutch springs, gasket and oil filter from wemoto (cheers Oldgitonabike), might as well cover all the bases.

WIll I need to replace the actuator spring at the bottom of the clutch cable? If so, does anybody know where I can get one from?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online