SR125 Wont start, Just clicks

Wraith_Dividend
This post is 4571 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys'n'gals

First post and already i'm whining >.<

So yeah, my SR125 '97 is, for the first time since the last, not starting. When i press the start button it doesn't even try to turn over it just clicks. I've found that the clicking is coming from just behind my filter box but this is my first bike and i have to learn as i go :/.

Any help would be nice :)

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

as above, an introduction will unlock a whole world of info, until the users know you they are more likely to keep to themselves.

so c'mon, tell us about yourself!

as for the fault, my money is on a dead battery, the "click" could well be the starter solenoid switching over to a live circuit, but your battery does not have enough juice to turn the engine over. on the XJ this is personified on the rev counter (when the starter is pressed the engine wont turn over and the rev counter turns to about 5-6k position)

welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply :P

As is i've been trying to work on this problem for a while now with the help of my ex-mechanic dad and bike fan friend.

Originally it clicked when i tried to start it and i found that this was and is the relay clicking, but this wasnt a problem when i rocked it back and forward a bit in gear because then it started fine.

However this began to stop working about a week ago and the other day it only started by bumping it, which now doesnt even work.

The battery put in by the last owner was a pile of rubbish anyway but was pretty knackered (it lost half its charge after about two minutes away form the mains :/ )

So i bought a new one today and charged it up fine but it still clicks :(

I thought perhaps it was a jammed starter motor but cant figure out how to get a look inside without unmounting the engine to take a side of it off and also i can move it by hand when i take off the magneto cover off. meaning i can turn the spindle by hand where it connects to the engine gears but i dont know if that means it isnt jammed.

Also my dad suspects that the magneto isnt charging the battery enough but we dont know how to test this at all or even get a visual hold on whats supposed to be going on in there.

Any input would be much obliged as i dont want to turn this into a money hole :P

Thanks guys :)

http://richard-clarknz.blogspot.com/2011/03/starter-motor-bench-repair-and-on-car.html

Starter electric motors can fail and stop on dead segments , if you rock the engine you will often move the starter to the next live set of segments, the electric motor will then turn over but often slowly as if the battery is flat and the bike could then start.

I think if you read the info in on this link you will be able to investigate further.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online